[CASL-L] Just sayin'...

Susan Smey suesmey at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 28 08:11:47 PDT 2015

Our profession has a serious PR problem.

Sent from Outlook

On Fri, Aug 28, 2015 at 7:07 AM -0700, "Cathy Andronik via CASL-L" <casl-l at mylist.net> wrote:
Had two interesting interactions this morning that were indicators of how our profession is viewed and how far we have to go.  Inservice day, textbook reps visiting to show teachers the bells and whistles of some new online products.  I asked one rep, who was sitting in the library before her presentation, whether there was anything appropriate to what I do in what she'd be demonstrating.  "Oh, no," she replied, "Just a lot of online stuff; the teachers will need tech."  Um.   Deep breath.  Then, when I materialized in another rep presentation with a department I work with extensively, my supervisor (who is also in charge of that dept.) stared at me until I explained my presence.  ("I want to see what's involved in the new curriculum."  "But we're looking at the textbook, not the curriculum."  At which point the rep piped in, "Well, they DO go together."  Turns out there's a point in this online product where I can plug in all the wiki pages I've put
 together over the years so kids don't have to search in three places, which I find very exciting.)  Deep breaths.  Deep breaths.

Cathy Andronik
Brien McMahon HS
Norwalk