[CASL-L] FW: Your library is essential - spread the word!

Styles, Julie Julie.Styles at ct.gov
Mon Aug 31 05:59:39 PDT 2015

Please forgive cross-postings.
Please forward to your staff, Friends, and trustees!
________________________________

Please join us for two dynamic workshops on how you can-and should-be an advocate for your library.

On September 17, Libby Post will present:
Library Advocacy: The Unquiet Zone<http://evanced.info/cslib/evanced/eventsignup.asp?ID=5365&rts=&disptype=&ret=eventcalendar.asp&pointer=&returnToSearch=&num=0&ad=&dt=mo&mo=9/1/2015&df=calendar&EventType=ALL&Lib=&AgeGroup=&LangType=0&WindowMode=&noheader=&lad=&pub=1&nopub=&page=&pgdisp=>
10:00 AM - 1:00 PM, Middletown Library Service Center
This session covers the nuts and bolts of why library staff and leadership should be advocates for their library, and how to go about doing it. We'll review the differences between lobbying and advocacy, where the line is, and how and when to cross over from one to the other. We'll look at what other advocates have accomplished and go in-depth into current data you can use to further your advocacy efforts. We'll also look at how to position your library as an essential service by unlocking the secrets to developing a compelling brand and marketing campaign for your library. Through a values-based brand, you'll give your community the emotional hook it needs to see your library as essential-just like fire, police, education, and health care. That emotional hook is what turns your library trustees, staff, and patrons into effective advocates.

"Libby Post spent three days last fall coaching the board, staff and a group of interested community members in advocacy techniques, leading to the formation of a committee that met weekly from November 2014 through May 2015. Following Libby's plan, the advocacy committee's efforts resulted in a 20% increase in the library budget for FY 2016." -Suzanne Maryeski, Executive Director, The Public Library of New London

This is a FREE event; registration is required.
Click here for more information and to register.<http://evanced.info/cslib/evanced/eventsignup.asp?ID=5365&rts=&disptype=&ret=eventcalendar.asp&pointer=&returnToSearch=&num=0&ad=&dt=mo&mo=9/1/2015&df=calendar&EventType=ALL&Lib=&AgeGroup=&LangType=0&WindowMode=&noheader=&lad=&pub=1&nopub=&page=&pgdisp=>

On September 22, Amy Greer will present:
Make Your Voice Heard: Public Speaking to Advocate for Your Library and Yourself<http://evanced.info/cslib/evanced/eventsignup.asp?ID=5299&rts=&disptype=&ret=eventcalendar.asp&pointer=&returnToSearch=&num=0&ad=&dt=mo&mo=9/1/2015&df=calendar&EventType=ALL&Lib=&AgeGroup=&LangType=0&WindowMode=&noheader=&lad=&pub=1&nopub=&page=&pgdisp=>
1:00 PM - 4:00 PM, Middletown Library Service Center

Public speaking and telling compelling stories are two of the essential components of advocacy, and yet they are often the elements that generate the most fear and anxiety. In this workshop, we will learn about the different presentation and storytelling styles that accompany advocacy work and how to prepare for each of these styles. How can we tell compelling stories that engage audiences and compel support? How do we lessen the anxiety around public speaking and presenting so we can maximize every opportunity to cultivate partnerships and attract resources? This workshop will help you take your library advocacy to a new level by preparing you for the many different facets of the work.

This is a FREE event; registration is required.
Click here for more information and to register.<http://evanced.info/cslib/evanced/eventsignup.asp?ID=5299&rts=&disptype=&ret=eventcalendar.asp&pointer=&returnToSearch=&num=0&ad=&dt=mo&mo=9/1/2015&df=calendar&EventType=ALL&Lib=&AgeGroup=&LangType=0&WindowMode=&noheader=&lad=&pub=1&nopub=&page=&pgdisp=>

[CT_State_Library_Logo-02_email2]
Julie Styles | Professional Development Coordinator | Division of Library Development | julie.styles at ct.gov<mailto:julie.styles at ct.gov> | Office: (860) 704-2206
http://libguides.ctstatelibrary.org/dld/home | 786 South Main St. Middletown CT 06457 | Fax: (860) 704-2228
Continuing Education Calendar: http://evanced.info/cslib/evanced/eventcalendar.asp