[CASL-L] Fwd: 2016 Connecticut Kids Lit Quiz!

Shannon McNeice shannon_mcneice at whps.org
Wed Dec 2 06:16:44 PST 2015

[image: kids_lit_final]*Attention: School Librarians, Classroom Teachers,
Teachers of Gifted and Talented Programs, English Language Arts
Coordinators, and Returning Friends of KLQ,*

*Welcome to the 2016 American heats of the International Kids’ Lit Quiz™.
This is a literary quiz which aims to broaden students’ knowledge and
encourage a love of reading. It is open to students in grades six, seven
and eight all of whom must be under fourteen years on 1st July 2016*

*We are growing in leaps and bounds and in order to accommodate our
numbers, there will be two heats (Tuesday January 26th and Wednesday
January 27th 6:30-9:30 pm). Three to five of top teams will be selected
from each heat to compete in the US Final to be held on Friday, January
29th at Welte Auditorium, 6:30 -9:30 pm. A snow day plan has been developed
and will be posted on our website. All events will be held in Welte
Auditorium on campus at Central Connecticut State University.*

*Because we understand that selecting a team may take time, a pre-test is
made available that may assist you in your school’s selection. The pre-test
is intended to be given to a team rather than an individual. All you really
need, however, are a group of four students who read widely. The team then
works collaboratively during the quiz to answer 100 questions in ten
categories. The categories are diverse in order to cater for all reading
tastes. Book prizes are awarded and there are prizes for the winning team.
The event lasts for three hours, with a twenty-minute break at the halfway
point.*

*Known as ‘the sport of reading’ the Kids’ Lit Quiz™ encourages students to
broaden their reading and creates an awareness of genre, authors and
titles. The competition is designed to be huge fun, with an element of
competition, personal challenge and reward that is seldom available to
children whose passion is reading. Just taking part in one of the regional
heats provides important experiences that many children may not otherwise
have.*

*Last year CCSU hosted the World Final right here in Connecticut! It was a
wonderful cross cultural experience for familes, coaches and teams and all
who participated! This year the World Final of the Quiz will be held during
the 2016 IBBY World Congress. IBBY is like the world body of children’s
literature and stands for International Board on Books for Young People
(see http://www.ibbycongress2016.org/ <http://www.ibbycongress2016.org/>).
This is great honour and will showcase the Kids’ Lit Quiz to the world. We
would like to offer this year’s winning team from The United States an
invitation to attend this event in Auckland NZ during August (16th-22nd)
2016.*

*We look forward to receiving your entry.*

*Please download the 2016 Entry Packet at
https://sites.google.com/site/usklqfinal2016/entry-pack
<https://sites.google.com/site/usklqfinal2016/entry-pack> and visit
https://sites.google.com/site/usklqfinal2016/klq-brochure
<https://sites.google.com/site/usklqfinal2016/klq-brochure> in order to
view our brochure for further information.  Please do not hesitate to
contact Dr Cathy Kurkjian, the US National co-ordinator, at
kurkjianc at mail.ccsu.edu <kurkjianc at mail.ccsu.edu>* *if you need any further
information or Mrs. Lisa Colon, Department of Literacy, Early Childhood and
Elementary Education at lydia.colon at ccsu.edu <lydia.colon at ccsu.edu>. The
Kids’ Lit Quiz website is: www.kidslitquiz.com
<http://www.kidslitquiz.com/>. *

*Good luck*

*Cathy Kurkjian and Wayne Mills*

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE:
This West Hartford Public Schools e-mail may contain confidential