[CASL-L] Summer Reading Lists - how I select!

Williams, Linda Linda.Williams at ct.gov
Tue Mar 10 07:56:10 PDT 2015

Hi everyone,

It was suggested that I let you know how I select the books for my annual State Department of Education summer reading lists.

I start with the Collaborative Summer Library Program theme (CSLP website: http://www.cslpreads.org/ ), which is Heroes/Superheroes for the summer of 2015.

First I make a huge list of books related, sometimes just tangentially, to the theme. I collect everything I can find!

I check whether they are in print. If they are out of print, they are eliminated.
I check reQuest for how many public libraries own them. If it is less than 40, they are most often eliminated (but I WILL keep one because it's too good not to, and since it's still in print, libraries can still purchase it).
Preference is given to any book that has received recognition from ALA, IRA (the choice awards), NCTE, NCSS, NSTA, USBBY (United States Board on Books for Young People) or Nutmeg Award Nominees (from any year).
All theme-related books that have been recognized by these associations go on the list first. Then I start filling in with books that have received starred reviews.
I look for variety and high interest. Usually the first side of the list is fiction, and the second side is graphic novels, folklore, poetry, nonfiction and biography.
I look for diversity.
I try to make sure the books are within reasonable reading levels for the age level of the list (using Lexile levels).

Throughout the listmaking process, which I start in January, I am open to suggestions.

Over the years - this will be the fourth - many schools have adopted these lists as is, or incorporated titles from them into their own. The reason I make them public during the selection process is that public libraries, especially those whose schools use these lists, want to make sure they have all the titles when summer starts.

Feel free to email me with any questions you have!

Linda

[CT_State_Library_Logo-02.png]

Linda Williams | Children's Services Consultant, Division of Library Development | Linda.Williams at ct.gov<mailto:Linda.Williams at ct.gov> | Office: (860) 456-1717 x302
libguides.ctstatelibrary.org/dld/children<http://libguides.ctstatelibrary.org/dld/children> | 1320 Main St. Ste. 25 Willimantic CT 06226 | Phone: (860) 456-1717 | Fax : (860) 423-5874