[CASL-L] May 13 - Make Your Voice Heard--Public Speaking to Advocate for Your Library & Yourself

Styles, Julie Julie.Styles at ct.gov
Mon May 4 06:25:23 PDT 2015

Advocating for your library and your job is an essential part of our profession, but all too often we don't know where to begin. Now is a particularly good time to build up those advocacy skills so we can work to garner support for our libraries and ourselves.

Please join us Wednesday, May 13 for a special workshop:

Make Your Voice Heard - Public Speaking to Advocate for Your Library & Yourself
Public speaking and telling compelling stories are two of the essential components of advocacy, and yet they are often the elements that generate the most fear and anxiety. In this workshop with Amy Greer, we will learn about the different presentation and storytelling styles that accompany advocacy work and how to prepare for each of these styles. How can we tell compelling stories that engage audiences and compel support? How do we lessen the anxiety around public speaking and presenting so we can maximize every opportunity to cultivate partnerships and attract resources? This workshop will help you take your library advocacy to a new level by preparing you for the many different facets of the work.

About Amy:
Amy Greer is currently working on her dissertation to complete her doctorate in Library and Information Science at Simmons College. Previously, Amy served as the Deputy Field Director for the 'Smiley for Mayor' campaign in Providence, RI. She also served as the Youth Services Coordinator at Providence Community Library where her goal was to ensure that the community library was an active partner in the community - meeting needs, solving problems, and contributing new ideas. In founding Human Library Rhode Island, Amy, along with her amazing team, created the first statewide Human Library effort in the US, bringing together people from all walks of life to speak on a human level.

Date: Wednesday, 5/13/2015
Time: 1:00 PM - 4:00 PM
This workshop is free; registration is required.
Coffee and refreshments will be served.

Click here to register:
Make Your Voice Heard - Public Speaking to Advocate for Your Library & Yourself<http://evanced.info/cslib/evanced/eventsignup.asp?ID=5251&rts=&disptype=&ret=eventcalendar.asp&pointer=&returnToSearch=&num=0&ad=&dt=mo&mo=5/1/2015&df=calendar&EventType=ALL&Lib=&AgeGroup=&LangType=0&WindowMode=&noheader=&lad=&pub=1&nopub=&page=&pgdisp=>

[CT_State_Library_Logo-02_email2]
Julie Styles | Professional Development Coordinator | Division of Library Development | julie.styles at ct.gov<mailto:julie.styles at ct.gov> | Office: (860) 704-2206
http://libguides.ctstatelibrary.org/dld/home | 786 South Main St. Middletown CT 06457 | Fax: (860) 704-2228
Continuing Education Calendar: http://evanced.info/cslib/evanced/eventcalendar.asp