[CASL-L] Research Models

Michelle Luhtala mluhtala at me.com
Mon Oct 5 18:03:27 PDT 2015

Hello all!

Wow!

You all had great things to share, and I apologize for my impersonal thank
you email to those of you who sent me your research models. Here are the
materials from other states and districts to whom my NCPS colleagues
reached out directly. We are working on a model we will share, once it is
solidified. Thank you again!!!

:-)ML

*Hamden:* we have adopted the Stripling Model.  We had a team research and
review several models and present what they found, and we decided on
Stripling. We like the steps and clarity of the model, and the fact it is
easily used on all grade levels. (Jackie Church)

*West Hartford: *we are spending time this year looking at this model
https://www.bcps.org/offices/lis/researchguide/5-8/intro.html
It is really great to see what everyone else is looking at! Thanks for the
question! (Shannon McNeice)

*East Haddam:* We're also incorporating Kuhlthau and Maniotes' work.  I
went to their extended session at AASL a couple of years ago: it was
excellent, showing their method to be exceptionally thoughtful, practical,
and completely adaptable.  Their book is similarly very clear and readily
adaptable to different levels.  Since my school is a 4 - 8, that's
extremely important.  Their emphasis on kids' immersion to build wonder
before they attempt inquiry is key for us. (Ava Biffer)

*RSD13:* One of models I am looking at is Kuhlthau and Maniotes work (just
got Guided Inquiry Design - A Framework for Inquiry in Your School and
would like the companion book). Leslie did an edWeb webinar a couple weeks
ago that was interesting.Right now, I use Steph Harvey and Harvey Daniels'
Comprehension & Collaboration - Inquiry Circles in Action with my K-2
folks. (Jenny Lussier)

I found this great site that compares four different Research Models.
https://infopeople.org/sites/all/files/past/2004/k12infolit/handout_infolitmodels.pdf
I've been using the Stripling and Pitts model. (Tracy Earnshaw)

*Colchester: *In Colchester we are using Barb Stripling’s model…
But have used the saying/acronym:
“Research makes you WISER!”

   - Wonder
   - Investigate
   - Synthesize (construct)
   - Express
   - Reflect

Working great, district wide!!
I also came up with a K-5 friendly CRAAP method, called JUNK

   - Just experts as authors
   - Uses accurate information
   - Newly updated (10 years)
   - Keeps to the facts (bias)

(Barbara Johnson)

Here is a link to what I have referenced and used from NY (WISE or WISER
model). I have asked for permission to reuse and they were great!
http://www.wswheboces.org/SSS.cfm?subpage=419
Staff at my school love it.
(Michelle Lane)

*Greenwich:*
The research models we use for each level in Greenwich can be found with
our Library and Media Technology curriculum site
<http://www.greenwichschools.org/page.cfm?p=818> but I have also copied and
pasted the graphics into this document
<https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0nxdY7LO53tX3ozTDlYZG5VT1E/view> for
easy reference.  I like the steps and the progression but students get
stuck on the forward arrows so I remind them that they can go both ways and
will often go back to do further research, revisions, etc. before
continuing on.
(Alex Stevens)