[CASL-L] And so it begins -- cell phones in the school library....

Michelle Luhtala luhtala.michelle at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 17:47:29 PDT 2015

Our students are encouraged to use their mobile tech for learning and
productivity. We expect students to learn productively 24/7 - through both
curricular and non-curricular activities. Where 21st century learning is
concerned, it is impossible to police what is and is not a learning
activity. Therefore, we give our students permission to use their phones to
do what they need to do.

Having said that, I have a *serious* pet peeve about people playing their
mobile tech out loud in public. Mobile devices come with headphones for a
reason. Seriously, I go berserk about this. It is sooo rude! I was seated
in a restaurant the other day where someone was playing a movie on their
iPad out loud - no headphones. I walked out and chose a different
restaurant. If I'd stayed, I would have lost it. Same with small children
and hand-held gaming.

So we ask kids to "plug in". We circulate earbuds (with alcohol swabs to
avoid the "Ick!" factor) and headphone splitters so our students can listen
to whatever they are playing socially with their friends. When they do play
their devices out loud, I treat it as a teachable moment to talk to them
about civility and respect for others, and then I send them to check out
earbuds. We get very few repeat offenders.

:-)ML