[CASL-L] Speaking of Banned Books Week... Are you following the New Zealand story?

Cathy Andronik cathyandronik at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 16 14:25:24 PDT 2015

I'd heard about this.

I'm writing my doctoral dissertation on Aussie YA lit.  When I was there interviewing authors and editors, they overwhelming said, "Oh, book banning--that's an American thing.  It doesn't happen here."  They admitted there aren't as many books published there with GLBTQ characters as we have here, and they need aboriginal authors--but censorship on this scale, not so much.  Ironically, books by NZ children's author William Taylor ("Agnes the Sheep," "Knitwits") got me interested in AU/NZ lit, specifically BECAUSE they were so politically incorrect!

Cathy