[CASL-L] Author visit

Jane Martellino janemartellino at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 19:01:32 PDT 2016

Hi,
This is in the early stages but David Schwartz is planning a trip to CT
possibly first week of May or last week of April. He actually authored a
past nominee for the Charter Oak Book Award-- Where Else in the Wild. He
could focus presentations on Math, Science, and of course all connect to
literacy and being an author.

He was here two years ago and the flyer attached is one from then. A new
flyer will be created once we lock-down the dates.

I need to know of any schools who may be interested.  Please send me an
email if you think you may be interested.

 Here is the fee info from David per our conversation:

I quoted the following fees:
— $1600 for a full day at one school (up to four presentations)
— $850 for a morning or afternoon at a school (up to two presentations)
— $450 for an after-school professional development session for teachers or
an evening program for families. These can involve the staff or the
families of more than one school in a single event. More than one can be
scheduled during the week but no more than one during a single day.

I told you this about travel arrangements:
— I would cover airfare if you can facilitate my getting booked at schools
for a full week (five days). This means five full days or ten half days or
any combination of half-days and full days that add up to five days
scheduled in a single week.
— Schools would be responsible for my housing, which can be either a
private home or a hotel. I actually prefer being hosted in private homes
and I’ve done it many times.
— Schools would be responsible for my local ground transportation to/from
the schools and my accommodations, which would be either in a rental car
that I drive or with rides organized by the schools. (It’s usually a lot
easier to have me rent a car.)
— I didn’t say anything about meals but meals work like this: lunch
provided by the school, at the school. Dinners provided by the school,
which could just mean eating with my hosts at their house(s). Each school
is responsible for one day (or half of one day if I’m visiting two schools
on that day). I provide my own breakfasts.

We discussed book sales:
— I can offer all of my 50-plus titles (in various editions) for sale by
providing an order form in advance, taking pre-orders and having books
shipped to school. A few extras will be included.
— Alternatively, the school can find another way to provide books but one
advantage of having me offer the books is that I can offer all of my
titles, including the 36 science books for beginning readers priced at $4
each, whereas other vendors usually offer only a few titles.
— In either case, I sign books purchased even if it means staying after
school.
— I would like to provide books for the evening family programs. For these
there will not be pre-orders.
— I offer schools that book me to speak a special deal on a “library set”
of all of my books at a large (appx. 40%) discount. This is to help schools
prepare for my visit, so it is offered only before I go to the school.

--
Jane E. Martellino
Twitter: @janemartellino