[CASL-L] Nutmeg Book Award programs

Cathy Andronik cathyandronik at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 19 10:31:40 PST 2016

I've been using the High School Nutmeg nominees with my school book club since the inception of that level.  We've passed 40 members this year!  I give a short booktalk on each of the nominees each May, and the members choose which 4 or 5 they'd like to read with the club.  (We meet every 6 weeks or so through the school year.)  Then I apply for a DonorsChoose grant to buy copies of the books.  I've asked the kids what they think of the books we read, which are not always the hottest current titles (thinking Hunger Games or Maze Runner), and I love the response:  "we like them because they're not books we would necessarily pick up randomly on our own."  The Nutmeg choices provide great discussion material (the club was POLARIZED over "Leonard Peacock," with some loving it and some HATING it, which made for a heated half hour!!!; and we had a hard time watching our pronouns with "Every Day").  I always try to find a tech/online component to our discussions; for instance, we enjoyed the character website that went along with "The Diviners," I showed a clip from a Sun Ra film for "Boy21" and a Bogart/Bacall scene for "Leonard Peacock" (most of the kids had no clue who they were), and had the playlist of dance music running behind our "This Song Will Save Your Life" discussion.  I just snagged a YALSA/Dollar General grant to run a summer book club at the local public library in collaboration with the Teen Librarian there, which will focus on three of the latest Nutmeg high school nominees.  I encourage the book club kids to vote for their favorite, of course!

Cathy Andronik
Teacher Librarian
Brien McMahon High School
Norwalk