[CASL-L] research/citation tools--what is your school using?--I'll compile the results

Dave StGermain dstgermain at milforded.org
Wed Jan 6 09:02:50 PST 2016

Hi Dawn -

You might have luck asking the teacher to first consider the *purpose *of
citation. According to Wikipedia this includes attributing work to the
actual source and allowing readers to determine the whether or not the
works cited help to support claims made by the author (Wikipedia
contributors. "Citation." Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Wikipedia, The
Free Encyclopedia, 19 Dec. 2015. Web. 6 Jan. 2016.).

We want students to be able to competently cite their sources when they are
out in the real world and we should want them to be able to do it using any
tool available to them.  Locking students into using one tool could serve
to stop them from properly citing in the future.  If Purdue Owl happens to
go the way of EasyBib, students should be able to locate and use another
tool that will help them easily and competently credit their sources.

Citation should be easy and enhance all of our work - not get in the way of
it.

Hope that this helps...

--

David St.Germain
Supervisor for Media Services and Instructional Technology