[CASL-L] Data Literacy

Debbie Abilock dabilock at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 07:48:15 PDT 2016

There's are a series of webinars about school librarians teaching data
literacy.  It's going to be really fun and you can either dip your toes in
or attend all the webinars - which are free.

The Conference Begins Thursday Morning!

We're looking forward to seeing you on Thursday morning as we kick off the
conference at 9am Eastern.

*	Links to sessions
<http://datalit.sites.uofmhosting.net/conference/schedule/>
*	Details on earning SCECH credits
<http://datalit.sites.uofmhosting.net/conference/scech/>
*	FAQs <http://datalit.sites.uofmhosting.net/conference/faqs/>

If you have any questions throughout the next two days, don't hesitate to
ask us in the chat window of any session or to contact us at
contact.data.literacy at umich.edu <mailto:contact.data.literacy at umich.edu> .

Thanks for joining us!

Kristin Fontichiaro & Angie Oehrli, Conference Coordinators

DID YOU MISS PREVIOUS EMAILS? HERE IS THE INFO WE'VE SENT OUT PREVIOUSLY.

How can I access sessions?

Links have been posted to the conference's schedule page
<http://datalit.sites.uofmhosting.net/conference/schedule/> , where you'll
find an abridged schedule at the top, followed by a link to a document with
extended session descriptions. We ask that you not sign into a room until 15
minutes prior to a session.

What can I do between now and the conference?

*	Add our project blog to your RSS reader.
<http://datalit.sites.uofmhosting.net/blog-updates/>  Weekly, we share
articles and ideas that grab our team's attention as we delve deeper into
time-efficient, high-impact data literacy strategies for high school
educators.
*	If you are registered with the Michigan Department of Education,
check out the conference's SCECH page and learn more about how to get SCECH
credits. <http://datalit.sites.uofmhosting.net/conference/scech/>
*	Read
<http://www.slj.com/2016/05/technology/free-virtual-conference-to-help-libra
rians-teach-data-literacy/> School Library Journal's profile of the
conference.
*	Test your computer, tablet, or mobile device to make sure it is
compatible with our presentation platform, Blackboard Collaborate by reading
the instructions here
<http://datalit.sites.uofmhosting.net/conference/faqs/> .
*	Encourage a friend to join you by forwarding this email or sending
them a link to the registration page.
<http://datalit.sites.uofmhosting.net/conference/registration/>

Here are some blogs we really enjoy about data and statistics:

 <http://fivethirtyeight.com/>

*	FiveThirtyEight.com <http://fivethirtyeight.com/>  - from
forecasting election results to figuring out which percentage of the ESPN OJ
Simpson documentary series contained archival footage, this is a great
source for thoughtful analysis and great visualizations. Led by Nate Silver.
*	Flowing Data <http://flowingdata.com/>  - A blog on data
visualization by Nathan Yau, whose book Data Points is one of our team's
favorites. Lots of imaginative examples of visualizing anything from
America's consumption of various foodstuffs to predictions of when you will,
ummm, die. (Note: dying of boredom from our upcoming webinars is not an
option.)

We look forward to seeing you soon! If you have any questions in the
meantime, please email us at contact.data.literacy at umich.edu
<mailto:contact.data.literacy at umich.edu> .

This conference is free and organized by the University of Michigan School
of Information and the University of Michigan Library with support from the
University of Michigan School of Education. The conference is made possible
in part by the Institute of Museum and Library Services RE-00-15-0113-15.

best,
Debbie Abilock
NoodleTools/NoodleTeach