[CASL-L] CRITERIA: Summer Reading Lists yet again!

Williams, Linda Linda.Williams at ct.gov
Tue Mar 8 09:00:41 PST 2016

Hi all,

Just a little update having read all the comments.... (and thanks for your recommendations, though I'm sorry to say that I did not remind that the list is a THEME list, using the CSLP summer theme)(skip directly to the bottom - the P.S. - if you just want to see all the criteria for the lists).

We do not mean to push these two-part lists on any library or school! It is totally up to you and your schools to decide whether they supplement with them, use them exclulsively or ignore them altogether. The project originated as a way to model the whole summer reading list process, and many people appreciate having a ready made list to use each year.

I have kept to the CSLP theme, FITNESS/HEALTH for the first page of each list - one 8.5 x 11 sheet, both sides - including picture books, fiction, graphic novels, poetry, folklore, nonfiction and biography. I am acutely aware of diversity issues and actively search out books that fit the theme and are diverse. This year, the diversity problem is with gender. Not many sports books are published about girls. Instead, books fitting the theme are about body image issues. When I find a book that is about girls in sports it usually fits neatly into one of these categories:

*         Published by a non-mainstream publisher and most of you have not purchased it... Baker & Taylor will not have any in stock, and who knows whether you'll be able to get your hands on it?

*         The reviews are not good - can I put a bad or mediocre book on the list just because of its subject matter? (my answer is no)

*         The book is out of print or only backorder, and I don't know how many of you already have it

To see books that have been rejected for one reason or another (mostly because they are out of print) check this board:

*         https://www.pinterest.com/cchildrens/booklist-exercise-fitness/

Time to ask publishers to include more books about girls and sports?

Our lists include a page of favorites and classics to expand the pool of books you can pull from. The favorites and classics list is outside the summer reading theme, so perhaps those of you who are not embracing this year's CSLP theme can encourage your schools to focus on them instead of the themed lists? We have also made an attempt to make them very broad by listing authors and/or series on this part of the list.

I try to list only books that are in-print. Unfortunately choosing approximately 150 books within these parameters that are all in print in hardcover is a virtual impossibility, so some are necessarily available only in paper. My personal opinion is that no one should be required to own every book on every list.

I use Pinterest so I can see the covers and try to balance things that way. If you have trouble seeing the Pinterest boards, just wait a little. The printed list is coming!

I hope this answers some of your questions/comments, but please feel free to email me! Especially if you have suggestions of titles that fit all the parameters!!! (see below).

Linda

P.S. Someone asked what the complete parameters of the list are, and I'll reproduce my answer here for anyone interested:
Books on the list:

*         Roughly fit the Collaborative Summer Library theme. 2016's theme is "FITNESS/HEALTH"

*         They have been listed as exemplary books by ALA (any of the ALA lists including the Amelia Bloomer list), NCTE (the Notables, or the Orbis Pictus), NCSS (Notable Trade Books in the Social Studies), NSTA (Outstanding Science Trade Books), or ILA (Children's Choices, Teachers' Choices, YA Choices). I take those FIRST and then I fill in with well reviewed (hopefully starred) books that fit the theme.

*         They are in print, at least in paper.

*         I used to make sure at least 40 libraries owned them, but without ReQuest, I haven't been able to do that this year.

THEN I balance the lists. I make sure there are:

*         Picture Books (K-4)

*         Fiction

*         Graphic Novels (usually just 1 or 2)

*         Poetry

*         Folklore

*         Nonfiction and

*         Biography

THEN I make sure there is gender and ethnic diversity - both in protagonists and authors, and variety of genres if possible.

[CT_State_Library_Logo-02.png]

Linda Williams | Children's Services Consultant, Division of Library Development | Linda.Williams at ct.gov<mailto:Linda.Williams at ct.gov> | Office: (860) 456-1717 x302
libguides.ctstatelibrary.org/dld/children<http://libguides.ctstatelibrary.org/dld/children> | 1320 Main St. Ste. 25 Willimantic CT 06226 | Phone: (860) 456-1717 | Fax : (860) 423-5874