[CASL-L] Teen Nutmeg Concerns

Lynch, J lynchj at plainvilleschools.org
Fri Mar 11 10:20:04 PST 2016

Hello,
In anticipation of the May 1st introduction date for 2017 Nutmegs, I have
begun reading the 10 intermediate and 10 teen titles that have been our
middle school's summer reading program for the past 10 years.
Two of the teen titles have rather mature themes that I feel uncomfortable
recommending to my 6th, 7th, and 8th grade students and feel are more
appropriate for high school. I do not advocate or condone censorship;
however, there is a huge difference in having a book on a library shelf
that's available for check out and recommending it for summer reading. Has
anyone else read Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend (abduction of an autistic
elementary student by his special ed teacher), or Swagger (sexual abuse of
a high school senior by his coach leading to the student's suicide) and had
similar concerns? I am in a quandary about what to do about these titles
regarding summer reading. I am interested in what others think.
Thanks,

--
Joyce Lynch
Library Information Teacher