[CASL-L] FW: State Library Board to consider Closing WLSC

Cormier, Susan Susan.Cormier at ct.gov
Mon Mar 21 09:23:54 PDT 2016

[CT_State_Library_Logo-02.jpg]

Susan Cormier | Children's Services Consultant | Division of Library Development | susan.cormier at ct.gov | Office: (860) 456-1717 X301 | (800) 253-7944 X301
http://libguides.ctstatelibrary.org/dld/home |1320 Main Street Suite 25 Willimantic CT 06226 | Fax: (860) 423-5874
[icon-facebook2]<facebook.com/csldld>[icon-twitter2]<https://twitter.com/csldld>

From: Conntech [mailto:conntech-bounces at mylist.net] On Behalf Of Wiggin, Kendall
Sent: Monday, March 21, 2016 11:19 AM
To: conntech at mylist.net
Subject: [Conntech] State Library Board to consider Closing WLSC

Good morning.

At next Monday's State Library Board Meeting (agenda attached), the Board will consider my recommendation to close the Willimantic Library Service Center and transfer its operations (including staff) to the Middletown Library Service Center and rename the Middletown Library Service Center to the Connecticut Statewide Library Innovation Center.

A lot has changed since  1959 when the State Board of Education was first authorized to  establish a library service center in the Windham-Tolland County are for the purpose of providing "supplementary library service."

The Division of Library Development is moving away from providing supplemental book collections and library services for public and school libraries. Today, the emphasis is on sending our consultants out into the field to work directly with libraries and groups of librarians.  Consultant's are now liaisons to specific libraries, making periodic visits and responding to individual library needs. There is also a renewed emphasis on continuing education to advance library skills. Much of this important training is being delivered remotely.

The Willimantic Library Service Center is a leased property. The building that houses the Middletown Library Service Center is a state owned property which means we have no lease costs. The WLSC lease is $168,622 per year. The total annual cost of operating the WLSC (less staffing) is $195,000.  The lease ended on 12/31/2015 and we are currently on a month to month.  The landlord is seeking a significant increase in the rent.

Operating two separate service centers is expensive.  It is also difficult to adequately staff two facilities. The State Library has experienced a 25% reduction in overall staffing in the past 10 years and that trend is likely to continue.

The budget situation requires that some hard choices be made.  The Governor presented a budget that carries forward cuts made in the December Special Session and makes an additional 5.75% cut to the entire budget.  That's a total reduction of $802,012 from the budget that has been enacted for FY2017. 25% of that cut is equal to the cost of operating the WLSC.  Combining the service center operations means we don't have to reduce other statewide services further.

In closing the WLSC we would:

*        transfer the WLSC staff to Middletown (no one loses their job)

*        transfer he large print book collections in the current WLSC and MLSC to the Library For the Blind in Rocky Hill

*        transfer much of the remainder of WLSC collection, shelving and equipment to Middletown

Libraries in all parts of the State will continue to have access to the collections and services that they currently do.

The merged service centers would be called the Connecticut Statewide Library Innovation Center, signaling the move to a greater engagement by DLD staff with libraries and more continuing education programs that are based on developing skills to address the rapidly changing nature of library service.

DLD's Strategic Focus Plan states "For libraries to thrive in the current information-rich, knowledge-based society, the Division of Library Development must concentrate its work in areas that meet the current needs and priorities of libraries and the people they serve." In order for DLD to accomplish this, the focus must be on delivering resources and services in ways that transcend traditional methods. By reallocating resources to programs and services that reflect the transformative nature of libraries, DLD can offer more personalized outreach and more dynamic programming to excite and engage the CT library community.

This was not an easy recommendation for me to make.  I also know that many of you are concerned about such a move.  I would encourage you to bring your concerns to the Board on March 28.

Ken

[Macintosh HD:Users:jeff:Desktop:CT_State_Library_Email_Logo.jpg]
Kendall  F. Wiggin |State Librarian | Kendall.Wiggin at ct.gov<mailto:Kendall.Wiggin at ct.gov> | Office: (860) 757-6510
www.ctstatelibrary.org<http://www.ctstatelibrary.org/> | 231 Capitol Ave. Hartford CT 06106 | Fax: (860) 757-6503
Follow CSL  [cid:image002.jpg at 01D04789.92042060] <http://twitter.com/LibraryofCT> [cid:image003.jpg at 01D04789.92042060] <http://www.facebook.com/CTStateLibrary> [cid:image004.gif at 01D04789.92042060] <http://www.flickr.com/photos/ctarchives/>