[CASL-L] David Schwartz May 2017 visit

Jane Martellino janemartellino at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 15:20:44 PST 2016

It is official that David Schwartz will be visiting CT schools the first
week of May.

Please consider booking a 1/2 day or a full day.  We are also planning to
have him at our Unconference at Scholastic which will be on Saturday, May
6th.

Please email me ASAP if you would like book a 1/2 day or full.  Those of
you who have been part of the Charter Oak Book Award may recall we had one
of his great nonfiction books :Where Else in the Wild on our list a couple
of years ago.

This is from David:

 I’d like to go over the terms as I presented them when we first talked in
August:

— honorarium $1600/day or $850/half-day. I do four presentations in a day,
two in a half-day. (Important note: I only book half-days if there is
another half-day to match with it for the other half of the day; the two
schools have to be close enough to make this feasible, although that
doesn’t mean they have to be next door neighbors because there is usually
at least 1.5 hours  between morning and afternoon presentations.)

— airfare covered by me

— ground transportation: schools will cover my local ground transportation,
either by sharing the cost of a rental car or giving me rides. (Getting
rides only works if all the schools do it. I can’t rent a car for some days
but not for others. Although I’m happy to get rides, it is usually a lot
more convenient for everyone to rent a car.)

— accommodations: I *may* be able to find accommodations with friends in
CT, depending on various factors, including the locations of the schools.
But we shouldn’t assume this will work out, so the contract will specify
that if it does not, schools will provide one night of accommodations for
each day of school visits. This can be at a hotel or at a private home if a
host with a guest room can be found. (I actually prefer staying in homes to
hotels and I’ve had many nice experiences over the years.)

— meals: we didn’t discuss this but it is typical for schools to cover a
guest speaker's meals. I will take care of breakfast, the schools are
expeted to provide lunch while I am there, and for dinner the school will
either reimburse for a reasonably priced meal or someone will provide one
(at a home or restaurant).

It is worth noting that for this trip I am offering a special rate, down
from $2000 per day plus ALL travel expenses. I did this for a few reasons,
including my fondness for Connecticut, which is where I lived when *How
Much Is a Million?* was published in 1985 and where I started my
school-speaking career, thanks to the Southern Connecticut Library Council
(namely, Sheila Wartel).

I’d also like to mention that I have age-appropriate presentations for all
grades from K-8. I used to do mostly elementary schools but lately I have
also been visiting a lot of middle schools.

Finally, the Unconference. I am eager to participate. You mentioned
contracting with me but we never discussed the subject of $s. For most
presenters, fees for professional development are usually much higher than
for school visits, and there are fewer presentations in a day (usually one,
sometimes two). I’m willing to keep it the same: $1,600 for up to two
presentations (or non-presentations in keeping with the m.o. of the event).
I could also do book signing and maybe something informal like a meet and
greet. Please tell me what you think.

All the best,
David

--