[CASL-L] Leveling of books?

Tichy, Joan JTICHY at sheltonpublicschools.org
Thu Oct 27 04:49:05 PDT 2016

All of the students in our district are evaluated using a Scholastic Reading Inventory which determines their Lexile Reading Level.   We also use Destiny to run a ReCon to adjust records to include Lexile in the MARC record.   Students can see the Lexile level as the Lexile will be displayed on the search screen under the copyright date.   We did purchase an add-on program to do this.  I usually run it at the administrative level for all of our libraries.    Follett will also Lexile books if you request it in your processing.  There is a PDF called "Reading Levels Correlation Chart" was put out by Follett that illustrates how all of the leveling tools relate to each other.  Of course, reading levels are subjective.   I am including the link.

http://www.follettlearning.com/wps/wcm/connect/0ffe970f-babb-4af9-b94f-1210f9ad9057/reading-levels-correlation-chart.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

You can also manually add Lexile to a record in Destiny.  You can look up the Lexile of books using Lexile.com.   Lexile.com has many books Lexiled already and you can just scan the ISBN or enter the title.  You can also type text from a book or article and submit it to Lexile.com as a text file and it will determine the Lexile level of the submission.  We also add a Lexile level on the spine of our books to indicate Lexile Level.  I have attached direction to add the Lexile to Destiny, if anyone is interested.

Even though we have Lexiled many of our books, I am a firm believer that the more children are engaged reading, regardless of level, their comprehension and ability will rise.  Joan