[CASL-L] Plagiarism policy

Janice Pellegrino janpellegrino at milforded.org
Fri Sep 16 04:21:14 PDT 2016

Hi Kathleen -

Here is Milford's high school policy which is listed in our High School
Parent-Student Handbook.

Academic Honesty (5133) Academic honesty requires that students respect the
integrity of other people’s work. Milford high school students are expected
to submit work that is wholly and truly their own at all times. Cheating
and plagiarism are examples of academic dishonesty. Such behaviors
undermine the district’s goal of excellence in education by compromising
the integrity and fairness of the educational process and by interfering
with the student’s learning. As a result, academic dishonesty will not be
tolerated and will result in academic and/or disciplinary consequences.
Cheating is the intent to gain an unfair advantage by dishonest or
fraudulent means.

Examples of cheating in school related work include, but are not limited
to:

the fraudulent giving or receiving of information about the content of a
quiz or test 

the unauthorized use of prepared materials or items during testing (e.g.
cheat sheet, notes, textbook, and/or calculator). 

the unauthorized copying of another student’s homework or classwork. 

collaboration of any kind with any person without the teacher’s knowledge
and/or consent.

Plagiarism is the use of the language, ideas, evidence (data), and/or
organization of another and the presentation of the material as the product
of one’s own mind.

Examples of plagiarism include, but are not limited to:
copying, paraphrasing or summarizing from a published or unpublished source
without attribution. 

 using information obtained from a conversation and/or interview with
another without attribution 

using the language or organization (e.g. extensive revision by another
person) without the consent of the teacher 

 using experimental data or hypothesis without attribution 

 the failure to use quotation marks, citation and/or footnotes to denote
material directly quoted from another source.

Academic/Disciplinary Consequences Teachers may choose to handle the
academic honesty infractions themselves or refer them in writing to the
administration. A disciplinary record regarding academic dishonesty will be
maintained throughout enrollment in a school. The record, however, will not
be part of the student’s transcript. The file will be destroyed upon
graduation.

The consequences of a student’s involvement in an act of academic
dishonesty will include items 1-4 and may include item 5 upon review by
teachers and administrators.

1. The student will receive an automatic “zero” on the assignment or test.

2. The teacher or assistant principal will contact the student’s parents or
guardian.

3. If the academic dishonesty is related to a student’s CERTO capacity,
he/she will be withdrawn and will not receive credit.

4. If the student is a member of the National Honor Society, the advisor
will initiate dismissal procedures in accordance with chapter and/or
national guidelines.

5. If the student participates in extracurricular activities, he/she may be
restricted from participation. Parents and students will be notified of the
academic honesty policy annually (through this handbook).

Parents are strongly encouraged to discuss the importance of academic
honesty with their son or daughter and support the district’s efforts to
enforce the policy.

Sorry that the formatting isn't great. Here's a direct link to the
handbook:

http://www.milforded.org/uploaded/MPSDistrict/Publications/handbooksguidebooks/high_school_ps_handbook_16-17.pdf

On Thu, Sep 15, 2016 at 3:19 PM, Kathleen Smith <ksmith at ledyard.net> wrote:

> Hello!   Do any of your high schools have a plagiarism policy you would be
> willing to please share?   Thank you!
>
> Have a great day!!!!
>

> Kathleen Currie Smith
>
> @kcurriesmith
>
> kcurrie72 at gmail.com
>

> *May God give you…*
>

> *For every storm, a rainbow,For every tear, a smile,For every care, a
> promise,And a blessing in each trial.For every problem life sends,A
> faithful friend to share,For every sigh, a sweet song,And an answer for
> each prayer.*
>
> *– Irish Blessing*
>

> Sent from my iPhone.  Please forgive any typos.
>
> This is a staff email account managed by Ledyard School District.  This
> email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended
> If you have received this email in error please notify the sender.

Janice Pellegrino, M.P., M.L.S.
Librarian
Certified Google Educator
Joseph A. Foran High School