[CASL-L] Annual Summer Reading Lists - It's that time again!

Williams, Linda Linda.Williams at ct.gov
Tue Jan 3 10:33:17 PST 2017

Hi all,

Sending this out now hoping to get these done earlier this year. It's time for you to have input into the annual summer reading lists for the CT Department of Education!

Keep in mind these criteria when making suggestions!

*         The book should have appeared on at least one best list from ALA, International Literacy Association, National Council of Teachers of English, National Council for the Social Studies, National Science Teacher's Association OR the book could be a current or former Nutmeg Nominee.
(links to those lists should be here: http://libguides.ctstatelibrary.org/dld/children/Booklists )

*         The theme is BUILD A BETTER WORLD. Some titles could have to do with actual building, but I'm leaning more to stories and nonfiction about making the world a better place.

*         The categories are: Picture Books, Fiction, Folklore, Graphic Novels, Poetry, Nonfiction and Biography. I try to cover as many of those as possible on each list (well... usually picture books don't appear on lists from grades 7-12 - but they COULD if there was something appropriate!)

*         Titles should be in print in at least one print format. That doesn't mean OP is absolutely nixed... but I prefer IN PRINT! It helps me if you check it before suggesting it!

Please make your subject heading "Annual Summer Reading Lists" so I can easily identify the suggestions in a search.

Also, realize that in the end I have to do a lot of balancing - so your suggestion might not make the final list.

Here are links to the Pinterest lists of what I've got so far:
K-2 : https://www.pinterest.com/cchildrens/k-2-build-a-better-world-2017/
3-4 : https://www.pinterest.com/cchildrens/3-4-build-a-better-world-2017/
5-6 : https://www.pinterest.com/cchildrens/5-6-build-a-better-world-2017/
7-8 : https://www.pinterest.com/cchildrens/7-8-build-a-better-world-2017/