[CASL-L] Fwd: [CSL-Conntech] Kyle Cassidy: THIS IS WHAT A LIBRARIAN LOOKS LIKE at Darien Library

Shelley Stedman slstedman at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 2 14:55:52 PDT 2017

-------- Original message --------
From: Mallory Arents <marents at DARIENLIBRARY.ORG>
Date: 10/2/17 5:42 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: CSL-CONNTECH at LIST.CT.GOV
Subject: [CSL-Conntech] Kyle Cassidy: THIS IS WHAT A LIBRARIAN LOOKS LIKE at Darien Library

Hi everyone,

The Darien Library is delighted to host Kyle Cassidy, author and photographer of THIS IS WHAT A LIBRARIAN LOOKS LIKE<https://www.darienlibrary.org/catalog/work/162770>, on Saturday, October 21st at 5 p.m. If you’re free and interested, we’d love to have you.

This is What a Librarian Looks Like is a photographic and written ode to more than 200 librarians and libraries from all 50 states and Canada, their essential value to our communities, and the importance of open access to information for all.

Kyle Cassidy has made it his mission to remind us of how essential librarians and libraries are to our communities, and how close we are to losing so many of them. Kyle spent hundreds of hours traveling around the country photographing and interviewing librarians for this project. His subjects are men and women of all ages, backgrounds, and personal style-from pink hair and leather jackets to button-downs and blazers. In short, not necessarily what one thinks a librarian looks like.

The nearly 220 librarians photographed also share their personal thoughts on what it means to be a librarian, what challenges libraries face today, and how people can help. Beyond lending books and looking up information, we learn from their candid testimonials that librarians are guardians of our collective knowledge, protectors of free, uncensored information, and champions of our communities in ways that most of us don’t even realize. They provide safe spaces for people to gather and learn, Internet access, job placement assistance, ESL classes, connections to childcare services, and even, on occasion, food and shelter.  Librarians work in hospitals with physicians and in universities with scientists. They loan neckties, kayaks, ebooks, audiobooks, digital movies, and musical instruments. They stand at the forefront of technology, making available recording studios, Virtual Reality headsets and 3-D printers in addition to story hours and puppet shows.

Full details of the event can be found here<https://www.darienlibrary.org/event/1539>. Please let me know if you have any questions and, again, we’d love to have you. Who knows, you may even see some familiar faces from Kyle’s book!

Best,

Mallory Arents
Head of Adult Programming and Community Engagement
203.669.5254
Darien Library | darienlibrary.org

Leave the subject line blank and in the body of the message type: Signoff CSL-CONNTECH Click send.

--d