[CASL-L] Elementary: Share a great lesson

Katie Finlan kfinlan at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 9 18:39:24 PDT 2017

Hi there,
To piggyback off Jane's e-mail and the wonderful reserve of elementary school level library lessons she is helping to moderate...I need some help.
My first few years as an LMS I kind of was under the impression that it would be unnecessary to do a book care lesson at the beginning of the year with my 3rd - 6th graders BUT lost just piles and piles of books both those years.  Since, I went ahead and developed book care lessons and have been using them, and my books have fared a lot better, so I'd like to continue explicitly teaching book care (one 45-minute lesson a year) with my students.  My problem is this; I have lessons for 3rd and 5th grade that I adore (Never Let a Ghost Borrow Your Library Book and creating book care memes, respectively) but my 4th and 6th grade lessons are lacking - they are too long and too short, they require too much instruction on *how* to do the activities, etc.  In searching the internet for ideas, I am finding plenty for younger students (K-2) but nothing I feel super confident or excited in adapting for my 4th and 6th graders.  Anybody have any ideas/lessons they love on taking care of and being responsible for library books?
Thanks in advance!
Katie ClancyLMS, Hebron Elementary School
PS - I'd be happy to share my 3rd and 5th grade lessons in Jane's Google Drive shared folder!   Currently Reading Get your own email signature