[CASL-L] Leveling books in a middle school library

Michele Lane mlane at colchesterct.org
Mon Apr 30 08:09:00 PDT 2018

Thank you all for your responses. I appreciate the supportive feedback you
provided. I will be building up my argument to keep the books level label
free.

On Apr 30, 2018 10:48 AM, "Jennifer Rocca" <Roccaj at brookfieldps.org> wrote:

The AASL position statement on this is pretty clear. No. Don't do it. It's
not in the best interest of readers.

http://www.ala.org/aasl/advocacy/resources/statements/labeling

An accommodation you could offer would be to maintain reading level data on
books in the catalog or in some other format so that teachers could access
the information but it's not clearly labeled on the books or shelves
themselves.

On Mon, Apr 30, 2018 at 10:22 AM Michele Lane <mlane at colchesterct.org>
wrote:

> Good morning,
>
> I was asked to discuss the possibility of leveling all of the books in the
> LMC. Using Fontas and Pinell. I am wondering if any other middle school has
> done this and the benefits of doing so. I have reservations about this as I
> do not want to limit access (or have a student perceived limited access)
> based on a level assigned to a book.
>
> Any thoughts you have would be appreciated.
>

> Please be aware that email communication can be intercepted in
> transmission or misdirected. Please communicate sensitive information by
> CASL-L mailing list
> CASL-L at mylist.net

Jennifer Rocca
BHS Teacher Librarian