[CASL-L] Anyone administer TRAILS?

Jennifer Rocca Roccaj at brookfieldps.org
Thu Aug 23 10:12:47 PDT 2018

We have used TRAILS a number of times.

   - Personally, I make the entire grade a single session. I copy and paste
   the student access codes onto a spreadsheet with student names (organized
   by classroom) and cut out strips of paper to hand to the students. There
   might be a better way but this has been working for us.
   - I usually assume about 30 minutes for a TRAILS assessment - some kids
   will finish in 10 minutes and some will take 40 minutes. We usually plan an
   independent activity for students to move into when they finish the
   assessment.
   - No tech problems. We've administered on iPads, chromebooks, and
   desktops. It has always worked fine.
   -  I have used TRAILS often. I even used it this past year. That being
   said, I don't really like TRAILS all that much. The questions are sometimes
   unclear or not focused where I want them to be. I don't feel like the
   results are a great measure of what the students can actually,
   functionally *do*. It is undeniably convenient to have a standardized,
   benchmarked, multiple choice assessment. That's why we keep coming back to
   it. But if something better existed, I would use it in a heartbeat.
   - This year we are trying out some of the Stanford assessments. Single
   questions with short answers. They provide a rubric and sample benchmarked

Jennifer Rocca
BHS Teacher Librarian
203-775-7725 x-7775