[CASL-L] Cell Phone Policy and streaming music services

Jen jlarkin24 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 09:26:01 PDT 2018

Hi Michelle -

We are not 1:1 but have over 30 chrome books and 24 desktops available for
students use.  This is my 3rd year in the school (HS) and cell phones have
been a major issue here in the LMC - talking on them, YouTube videos,
taking photos for Instagram, hiding phones, music, etc.  As we are trying
to create a working environment in our LMC, this year we have asked
students to put away their cell phones.  They are free to plug in earbuds
and listen to music - but phones shouldn't be the only thing they have in
front of them when they get here.  In my opinion - if they have nothing to
do other than watch Netflix - then they have other places they can go to do
that.  They are taking away a seat from someone else who may need to come
in to do work.  Obvious exceptions - a teacher assigned a FlipGrid
assignment, etc. - but in this case, the teacher always lets me know that
this is something that has been assigned and the kids ask permission to do
it.  We'll see how it goes this year!  The staff LOVES it!

Jen L.