[CASL-L] World book

Elaine Shapiro elaine.shapiro7 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 18:45:44 PST 2018

You may think I'm nuts, but I do have print World Book, albeit not terribly
up to date.  I bought both it and Britannica about 10 years ago, and
another World Book maybe 3 years ago, probably during a sale.  I think
students (we go up to grade 4) need to know how to use an alphabetized
print resource. Electricity goes out, computers fail, wifi signals can be
poor, etc.  I do some lessons in keyword searching with the print
encyclopedias; kids have to answer random questions, and first they have to
identify the keyword so they know what volume to choose.  Maybe this will
help them not type the entire question into the search box in online
resources. . .

Also, the younger (K-1) students are fascinated by the encyclopedia set,
the picture it makes when they are all in order, and recently I saw some
kids reading from them.

Elaine Shapiro
Broad Brook School