[CASL-L] Number of Books per Student

Williams, Linda Linda.Williams at ct.gov
Wed Dec 19 08:25:34 PST 2018

Hello CASL people!

I wrote a detailed answer to this question recently, and I've had this question a couple of times. If any of you know more, or know of an error here, please let me know!

The question is how many books per student are required in Connecticut school libraries.

Seems to me the question has been out there unanswered for a long time in Connecticut. The State Department of Education has had no Media Center consultant for many years, and without one, Connecticut has not set any particular standard number of books that a school library should have. Guidelines are often written by a state's School Library Association, and CASL has none that I know of.

So there's nothing hard and fast about this at all. That said, here are some of the recommendations you can look at to help you make your own case.

There is SOME guidance out in the field. According to ALA's page, "Highly effective school libraries have a common set of characteristics<http://www.ala.org/tools/research/librariesmatter/highly-effective-school-libraries-have-common-set-characteristics>""

*         "a school library that meets resource recommendations of 15-20 books per child"

I looked for anything NEASC might have that could guide you, and the most I could find was here (copied below), and I do not see any particular number that they require.

4.4 All students receive library/information services that support their learning from adequate, certified/licensed personnel<https://cpss.neasc.org/standards/2020-standards/standard-4>.

Descriptors of Effective Practice - Library/information services:

*         have adequate, certified/licensed personnel and support staff

*         ensure personnel and staff are actively engaged in the implementation of the school's curriculum and instructional practices

*         include a wide range of materials, technologies, and other information services in support of the school's curriculum

*         are available for students and staff before, during, and after school

*         are responsive to students' interests and needs in order to support independent learning

*         include a physical setting that encourages collaboration among students, opportunities for inquiry, and authentic learning.

Without making a judgement on any particular state plan, here are links and references from a few state School Library Association standards.

In Pennsylvania's "Guidelines for Pennsylvania School Library Programs<https://www.psla.org/assets/docs/PDE20Guide20For20School20Libraries20201120FINAL.pdf>" they give detail for each type of school, and material:

[cid:image003.jpg at 01D48581.9FEC0EB0]

Texas, in "School Library Programs: Standards and Guidelines for Texas<https://www.tsl.texas.gov/sites/default/files/public/tslac/ld/schoollibs/costforstandards/School%20library%20program%20standards%20Final%20Version%20Updated%208-22.pdf>" recommends the following:

[cid:image004.jpg at 01D48581.9FEC0EB0]

South Carolina has recommendations as well. Their document, Standards for School Library Resource Collections<https://www.scasl.net/assets/standards_school_library_resource_collections.pdf> defines three levels:

*         At risk = minimum number of 11 books per student that meet the At Risk age requirements, are current, alligned with the curriculum, reflect students' interests, and are age and developmentally appropriate.

*         Basic = A minimum of 13 books per student that meet the Basic age requirements, are current, aligned with the curriculum, reflect students' interests, and are age and developmentally appropriate.

*         Exemplary = A minimum of 15 books per student that meet the Exemplary age requirements, are current, aligned with the curriculum, reflect students' interests, and are age and developmentally appropriate.

I hope this is helpful, and feel free to get back to me with any other questions!

Sincerely,
Linda Williams

[CT_State_Library_Logo-02.png]

Linda Williams | Youth Services Consultant, Division of Library Development | Linda.Williams at ct.gov<mailto:Linda.Williams at ct.gov> | Office: (860) 704-2207