[CASL-L] Workshop: Facing the Future: Facilitating Climate Change Conversations at Your Library, Wed. March 21, 10-3, MLSC, Free

Cauffman, Stephen Stephen.Cauffman at ct.gov
Thu Feb 8 08:58:08 PST 2018

cid:image001.jpg at 01D03115.F4805630

Facing the Future: Facilitating Climate Change Conversations at Your Library

>From the news that earth surface temperatures hit a record high in 2016, to a presidential administration that denies the effect fossil fuels play in climate change, we are inundated with stories and images about climate change. And yet authentic face-to-face conversations about climate change (with family, friends, neighbors, colleagues) are rare. According to the Yale Program on Climate Change Communication, "more than half of those who are interested in global warming or think the issue is important 'rarely' or 'never' talk about it with family and friends."

In this workshop, participants will learn why dialogue about climate change is critical to creating a brighter future, and how librarians can facilitate dialogues that empower our communities to be better equipped to respond, adapt, and mitigate the effects.

This interactive, experiential training will guide you through the creation of a "Climate Communications Toolbox" you can use to facilitate dialogue and host "Climate Conversations" within your library community.

You will:

*         Learn how to create and host successful "Climate Conversations" at your library.

*         Share ideas for archiving and exhibiting artifacts created through these conversations.

*         Brainstorm ideas for building community partnerships.

*         Learn why resilience and social capital are critical for communities to thrive and endure, and how libraries can help communities build both.

*         Experience mindfulness exercises as a tool for "re-wiring" the brain to stabilize the nervous system.

*         Explore your own thoughts and feelings about climate change through storytelling and reflective writing.

This workshop is taught by Madeleine Charney, Research Services Library, W. E. B. Du Bois Library, UMASS, Amherst.

Cost: Free
Wednesday, March 21, 2018
10 am to 3 pm
Middletown Library Service Center (MLSC), 786 South Main Street, Middletown, CT 06457
To register, visit https://cslib.libcal.com/event/3703284

CT State Library is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
(c) 2018 CT State Library. All rights reserved.