[CASL-L] HS Book Clubs

Cathy Andronik cathyandronik at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 25 09:32:41 PST 2018

 Let me tell you about my book club!  On paper at least, I have upwards of 50 members.  Those who actually come to meetings fairly regularly number about 30-40.
When we started out, we only had 10 "on paper," 3-5 showing up.  That was about 10 years ago.  I didn't give up when the going didn't look good, and it paid off.  Members told their friends, older siblings told younger siblings, and we grew.
We read the Nutmeg High School Book Award nominees.  Kids who read Nutmegs in elementary and middle school recognized the name and the promise of quality, so I think that's part of the appeal.  Another HUGE draw is the fact that members get their very own copies of the books, "for keeps."  Yes, I need to scramble for every penny of grant money I can get my hands on.  Thank God for DonorsChoose and James Patterson.  We are not a wealthy district, and kids have actually shown me pictures of their Book Club bookshelf at home, or told me that they forward their books to family after we've read and discussed them.  Yes, I also serve food (pizza and Oreos have become the official Book Club foods) during our meetings.  Again, a huge thank you to the parents' and alumni organizations that donate $100 or so every year.
Thanks to a grant, I was able to bring in big name visiting authors (Libba Bray and Andrew Smith) for the past two years.  The Book Club kids requested these authors after we read The Diviners and Winger.  (This year they want David Levithan.)  On the day of the visit, I arrange for a one-period in-school field trip for the club members, and they get to have lunch in the library (there's a local place that makes the BEST mac and cheese, in bulk) with the author, talk in-depth about the books, and get autographs.  Last March fifteen members and I took a field trip to New York City (another grant) for the NYC Teen Author Festival:  a day of panel discussions by YA authors.
I hope this is encouraging.  You didn't say how long your book club was up and running.  If this is the first or second year, my advice would be to hang in there, and make the experience the best you can for the kids who do show.
Cathy AndronikTeacher LibrarianBrien McMahon HSNorwalk