[CASL-L] Iraq/Middle East essential reading

Dawn Zillich dzillich at spchs.com
Mon Mar 26 10:55:25 PDT 2018

Good afternoon,

Sorry for cross posting but I wanted to cast a wide net on a topic.

I’m looking for a list of books, resources you would consider “essential”
reading on Iraq. Items should be about a variety of topics, not just about
the wars but also culture, food, fictional stories set in Iraq, etc. Bonus
points if you can recommend a (Connecticut-based) speaker appropriate for
grades 9-12.

My collection in this area hasn’t been updated in more than 10 years so I’m
seriously behind. My school has adopted a city in Iraq and plans are in the
works to help rebuild something in the city and possibly other projects.
For now our school is starting to educate the students about the area.

Thanks in advance,

Dawn M. Zillich, librarian

St. Paul Catholic High School

Bristol, CT

"Until it is clear that a library is the portal of learning, students will
be without the means to accomplish their essential, lonely task. Libraries
are the common intellectual meeting ground of individualized
learners,"  -- Diane
Ravitch, education historian/policy analyst, and NYU professor.