[CASL-L] Summer Institute at URI

Barbara Johnson bajohnson at colchesterct.org
Sun May 13 10:13:24 PDT 2018

PROGRAM:  Summer Institute in Digital Literacy 2018
<https://www.digiuri.com/>
DATE: July 15 - 20, 2018
LOCATION: University of Rhode Island, Providence, Rhode Island USA
LEARN MORE:  https://digiURI.com <https://digiuri.com/>

We approach the practice of digital literacy in a unique way. We see it not
primarily as a form of technology integration, but as an expanded
conceptualization of literacy. This summer, we're emphasizing (1) creative
expression as part of teaching and learning (2) inquiry and critical
analysis, (3) storytelling and social justice, (4) digital authorship and
(5) informal leadership.

Participants will learn to use a variety of digital platforms, tools and
technologies by exploring and creating messages using many different forms
of digital media. They have time to develop plans they can implement,
informed by rich discussions with K-12 educators, college faculty,
librarians, researchers and media professionals.

This summer, our keynote address is offered by the legendary
African-American storyteller Len Cabral and his daughter, the media
literacy activist Nuala Cabral . In their talk, " Before There Were
Screens, There Were Stories," they will reflect on the experiences of
tellers and listeners in a fast-evolving media landscape where screens are
ubiquitous, attention spans are short, multi-tasking is the norm and human
connection is at our fingertips, yet fleeting. Understanding digital and
media literacy through intergenerational knowledge sharing, global
perspectives on social justice, and activism through youth media will be
thought-provoking for all participants.

Thanks for sharing this information about the  Summer Institute in Digital
Literacy  <https://digiuri.com/> to someone who's interested in giving
themselves the gift of learning this summer.

Sincerely,

Renee Hobbs
Professor of Communication Studies
Director, Media Education Lab
Harrington School of Communication and Media
University of Rhode Island USA
Email: hobbs at uri.edu
Twitter: @reneehobbs
Web:  http://mediaeducationlab.com

--
Please be aware that email communication can be intercepted in transmission
or misdirected. Please communicate sensitive information by telephone or in