[CASL-L] Computer/Technology lessons

Elaine Shapiro elaine.shapiro7 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 04:38:22 PDT 2018

I am the LMS in a preK-4 school, on a fixed schedule. We have 4 sections at
each grade level, and on the 5th day of the week, one day repeats. Each
week it's a different day. So once a month, I see every class for a second
time and used to take classes to the computer lab for Keyboarding without
Tears.

This year, instead, I am charged with  teaching computers/technology skills
and knowledge, although without a lot of direction.  I am working with
another teacher in the district, and we like the CSTA standards (
csteachers.org), but wonder if anyone has used these, and created lessons
for them, or can recommend a source for lessons.  It feels like a daunting
task, especially across a wide range of grade levels.  The available time I
have amounts to one 50 minute period per month for each student.

We began with a discussion of hardware, having kids examine the laptops and
talk about what they noticed, and comparing their findings to a diagram
that identifies the ports, camera, speakers, etc.

Any ideas welcome.
Thank you
Elaine Shapiro
Broad Brook School