[CASL-L] How to Cite Newspaper Articles From a Database Using MLA 8

Deloatch, Karen L KDeloatch at ccc.commnet.edu
Wed Oct 31 12:24:36 PDT 2018

Dear Colleagues,

We have a faculty member who asked how her students should cite articles from the Hartford Courant, which is a ProQuest database. I used the cite button from the Hartford Courant database for 2 articles. One citation included both the name of Hartford Courant as the publication and ProQuest as the database. The other just listed ProQuest and the URL, without mentioning the name of the newspaper. I did a google search on how to cite newspaper articles in MLA 8 and received different results. Some libraries included the name of the newspaper and the name of the database, while others had only the name of database. I checked the paper version of MLA 8 but could not find the answer. What do tell your students and faculty to include in the citation for a newspaper article from a databases?  Thank you.

Karen

Karen DeLoatch
Head of Library Instruction
Arthur C. Banks Library