[CASL-L] National History Day - Weebly and Data Privacy

Casey, Doug Doug.Casey at ct.gov
Thu Jan 31 12:34:09 PST 2019

Good afternoon,

Some districts have expressed concern over the use of Weebly's education product for National History Day, given our state's privacy law. I spoke with Rebecca Taber-Conover, the point of contact for the event, about the use of this online publishing platform. She shared that "students participating in History Day are not required to do a Web site. Participants may choose to present their information in one of five ways (website, paper, performance, exhibit, documentary). It's up to the student to choose how to share their research."

Unless districts are telling students they must use Weebly, then the state law would not apply. If you have any other questions about National History Day, feel free to e-mail Rebecca directly at rebecca.taber-conover at ctpublicaffairsnetwork.org<mailto:rebecca.taber-conover at ctpublicaffairsnetwork.org>.

Best,

Doug

________________________________
Douglas Casey