[CASL-L] 2020 Middle School 7-8 Nutmeg Nominees

Polack, Lisa lpolack at ellingtonschools.net
Wed May 1 10:51:04 PDT 2019

A message about the 2020 Middle School 7-8 Nutmeg Nominees:

The Nutmeg Steering Committee has received questions about the maturity
level of the 2020 Middle School 7-8 Nominees. We realize that reviews for a
few of the titles list the recommended audience as 8th grade and up. As
librarians we often look to these reviews for guidance, but ultimately
create a collection of books that is right for our own library’s
population.

>From the 2020 Teen 7-8 Selection Committee Chairpersons:

The Middle School Nutmeg Committee is made up of 10 public and school
librarians, teachers and 3 students.  As a committee we read and voted on
titles that we felt were appropriate for 7th and 8th graders.  While some
books cover topics that are serious or sensitive in nature, we chose titles
that approached them in an appropriate and delicate manner.  We chose
titles that would appeal to a variety of reading levels, some slightly
below and some more challenging. As a committee we agreed that these titles
were suitable for this list and stand by our selections.

Links for Content Information from Common Sense Media on a few of the
titles:

CITY OF SAINTS & THIEVES by Natalie C. Anderson
<https://www.commonsensemedia.org/book-reviews/city-of-saints-thieves>

DEFY THE STARS by Claudia Gray
<https://www.commonsensemedia.org/book-reviews/defy-the-stars>

FROSTBLOOD  by Elly Blake
<https://www.commonsensemedia.org/book-reviews/frostblood-the-frostblood-saga-book-1>

ILLEGAL by Eoin Colfer and Andrew Donkin
<https://www.commonsensemedia.org/book-reviews/illegal>

MIDNIGHT WITHOUT A MOON by Linda Williams Jackson
<https://www.commonsensemedia.org/book-reviews/midnight-without-a-moon>

PIECING ME TOGETHER by Renee Watson
<https://www.commonsensemedia.org/book-reviews/piecing-me-together>

POSTED by John David Anderson
<https://www.commonsensemedia.org/book-reviews/posted>

SAINTS AND MISFITS by S. K. Ali
<https://www.commonsensemedia.org/book-reviews/saints-and-misfits>

*Lisa Polack  MEd, MLS*
*School Librarian, **Ellington Middle School*
*Secretary, Nutmeg Book Award*