[CASL-L] [External Email] Re: Thanksgiving books

Larissa Crocco lcrocco at woodbridgeps.org
Mon Nov 25 09:24:43 PST 2019

I would recommend Frybread (I heard it is currently sold out, but a second
printing is underway) and  also this website:

https://americanindiansinchildrensliterature.blogspot.com/

On Mon, Nov 25, 2019 at 12:06 PM Allison Loiseau <librarianallie at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I just added Otsaliheliga: We Are Grateful by Traci Sorell to our
> collection. I love it and the author is a citizen of the Cherokee nation.
> It’s not a thanksgiving book per se but it’s lovely and inspiring!
> Thanks!
> Allison Loiseau
> Highland Elementary School
>
> On Mon, Nov 25, 2019 at 12:02 PM Elaine Shapiro <elaine.shapiro7 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I am seeking recommendations for Thanksgiving themed books (fact or
>> fiction) for the preK-4 age group that don't glorify the colonists at the
>> expense of the native peoples.  I am also looking for suggested books to
>> update my American Indian books which are very old, and I am afraid are not
>> culturally accurate.
>> Thank you
>> Elaine Shapiro
>> Broad Brook School

Larissa Crocco
Teacher Librarian
Beecher Road School
(203) 389-2195
*"Good books make me feel big things." ~ Gerald the Elephant *

Pronouns: she/her

*Recently Read:*
*The Night Diary *by Veera Hiranandani ~ A gripping historical fiction book
that deftly delves into the difficulties of Partition. Nisha's family lives
in what is now Pakistan, but her father is Hindu. The climate changes
drastically and is not safe. Her father decides to move their family to
India. A large part of the journey is on foot where they pass Muslim
families who are walking to Pakistan from India. It is a dangerous journey
that Nisha carefully documents in letters to her mother.

*Are You Scared, Darth Vader?* by Adam Rex ~ This humorous picture book by
NY Times bestseller Adam Rex is perfect for any Star Wars fan. A close
reading will yield more than just laughs as this mighty villain shows some
vulnerabilities.

* Shouting at the Rain* by Lynda Mullaly Hunt ~  This book set in Cape Cod
explores who can be considered family,  and what makes a friend with a dash
of Great White Sharks. Another winner by the author of *Fish in a Tree.*

*Favorite Books of 2019-20 School Year: *
Endling: The Last and *Endling: The First  *by Katherine Applegate
*The Rabbit Listened * by Cori Doerrfeld
*The Night Diary *by Veera Hiranandani