[CASL-L] classroom videos - remotely

Rocca, Jennifer Roccaj at brookfieldps.org
Tue Apr 7 08:32:33 PDT 2020

The statute for streaming video for distance learning is here:
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/17/110

What I take from this is that you can stream a copy of this movie for
students but it has to be a legally obtained copy of the movie and only
viewable by our students. Our first choice will always be something like
Hoopla or Classroom Videos on Demand, etc. But when those are not an
option, how can we handle showing movies directly related to curriculum via
distance learning?

I have a few thoughts:

   - This would mean we can not make a copy and put it in Google Drive and
   show it to students because they would then be able to download it or copy
   it
   - Technically, they could always make a copy of a video using a screen
   capture - but I don't know if we are held to that standard by copyright
   law. If we provided in a non-downloadable form, have we done our due
   diligence?
   - Can we arrange several "live showings" via a screen shared Google Meet
   or Zoom? That seems like it might meet these criteria.

Has anyone addressed this problem yet in these unique times?

--

Jennifer Rocca
BHS Teacher Librarian

"We are a learning community committed to fostering intellect, respect, and
integrity."