[CASL-L] Fwd: ALA Advocacy Alert: Urge Your Senators to Support Emergency Library Funding

Shelley Stedman slstedman at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 23 07:56:07 PDT 2020

Begin forwarded message:

From: ALA Public Policy & Advocacy Office <imanager at alawash.org>
Subject: ALA Advocacy Alert: Urge Your Senators to Support Emergency Library Funding
Date: April 23, 2020 at 9:36:06 AM EDT
To: slstedman at hotmail.com

 <http://cqrcengage.com/ala/app/take-action?engagementId=507416&ep=AAAAC2Flc0NpcGhlcjAxQvvfLxa7hqDmtxqCz3V2d4wBMBaANrBkZKO7BJrirbqMOZg-bBZDsERd25JtOV3YftCHQu0AlNQwvtQKbGhY1WUQ41LdEZUO34SBnZ_q-EY&lp=0>
Advocacy Alert: Urge Your Senators to Support Emergency Library Funding

Dear Shelley,

Congressional leadership is continuing work on a new COVID-19 recovery package, and we are working to ensure libraries of all types are included. Today, we need your voice to get the library message to Congress. <http://cqrcengage.com/ala/app/take-action?engagementId=507416&ep=AAAAC2Flc0NpcGhlcjAxIXatknXl2llY-qWbngbxTdJ_AYbvUDAyxAYVXzbXRfwPER8dh39MmZygW23LMemNA0ML1nwxb3Uad70F0StN3O028og0WlFYT9-Us_vlgMI&lp=0>
Senators Jack Reed (D-RI) and Susan Collins (R-ME) are circulating a Dear Colleague letter in the Senate calling for $2 billion in emergency recovery funding for America's libraries through the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS). This funding would be available through the Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) grants to states program. This comes after a similar letter from Reps. Andy Levin (D-MI), Don Young (R-AK), and Raul Grijalva (D-AZ) circulated in the House.

As these elected leaders know, libraries across the nation are holding communities together and must be supported in the months ahead. Can you stand with libraries and urge your Senators to sign? <http://cqrcengage.com/ala/app/take-action?engagementId=507416&ep=AAAAC2Flc0NpcGhlcjAxsskHFNMT94muKzctbZKN3cwrsuuFRww3UE0IUi1CZjUhkBSeAQJJglsgDUcX8VhoAGLCKvww2PmesTHffVmwUthY_LPP1Id9tDdOteXZqe8&lp=0>
Thanks to your emails and calls, Congress included $50 million in the CARES Act <http://cqrcengage.com/ala/app/thru?ep=AAAAC2Flc0NpcGhlcjAx7s1dG85F0MAJLfUckK3svDBxdTChz7ElKwn0T5o66_d8ydIDswM3iHJ4EY1KhoFx6tCIlnXqoTPEJfIc9DAHg9oWXgNflsYIwoyxWhXeaUKB9tBwtLle5WL_S_2BqbnNQbz1dtSrfSNRpjoxfHc9nFI7C2xn6uGduFhsPxVMklOILFTyiVtQdLp67eXGfs16eG-p8Kp5_iraZBYHnfzX9wK71xclAYA_ItVqokfiNx0TYq9V9umxFiTv32wfDYGf&lp=0> for libraries to expand digital network access, purchase internet accessible devices, and provide technical support services to communities across the nation. To ensure libraries actually have the resources to sustain these and other vital services, please email your Senators and ask them to sign on. <http://cqrcengage.com/ala/app/take-action?engagementId=507416&ep=AAAAC2Flc0NpcGhlcjAxdlwcA8L_zyWzZoQ7NafD31WemETp4LaA2K9iUDrMb55D55-fDIxzfSc9E8fic0WrIrXOc8SwDaa-bB0KlLPqcGdb6BaYSOtnCDCrY6CRC8w&lp=0>
We will continue to update you as we work to push Congress to support libraries through this difficult time. We're incredibly grateful for your support and advocacy.

Thank you for your invaluable work,
ALA's Public Policy & Advocacy Team

PS - If you can, take the extra step and post on social media! Use the language below and be sure to tag your Senators: [@ Your Senators] U.S. Libraries employ ~370,000 workers & purchase $4bil in materials yearly. Our libraries must be included in COVID19 relief legislation. As a constituent I urge you to sign @SenJackReed and @SenatorCollins' letter calling for emergency library funding.

Contact Us
ALA Public Policy & Advocacy Office
1615 New Hampshire Ave NW, 1st Floor
Washington, D.C. 20009-2520
Phone: (202) 628-8410	Subscribe
Ready to take action?
Subscribe to our Action Center. <http://cqrcengage.com/ala/app/thru?ep=AAAAC2Flc0NpcGhlcjAxbYbKiIB8PRCffAU-G4MBFvwaxh-pZCS5Zu_9mWjvXPJNr-3ZfU6CNzpj80EloGNdeHyiiJ6kzqQXChJnj4QyQmikSD7adt0Jf72TNiXYjUgiXH6aOu8hrPiObb88wc_m6Yjy0QCMYfveIxitPpTQFQ&lp=0>
 	 <http://cqrcengage.com/ala/app/thru?ep=AAAAC2Flc0NpcGhlcjAxoHOJo5XOSUqiCMbZqr8yYLhrYkK7dKau7P4F-lBx8fdVGK_n_rpiHSwQ0r9qTQQbC7oqMDVOvoOl0W0ZkPeJ7zLx9SJSg43en7aSEF3cd9QOriDQw-SdVQmH80ngBPdx&lp=0>
Please unsubscribe below if you no longer wish to receive emails from the ALA Public Policy & Advocacy Office.

   <http://cqrcengage.com/ala/app/thru?ep=AAAAC2Flc0NpcGhlcjAxLtl6VhpMmxb9wDKef26k_29VFJFe4z3osvnXPSDAXMWSAlTGy1lJkgM_AWsRhPWMpktgDrDu3rCit01wKvKNeAf6H-hiWy6clU3f49UxCxR5QfJV2DK8ymg9Ywd1wdV9&lp=0>