[CASL-L] CRAAP test alternatives

STEPHANIE PATTERSON spatterson at southingtonschools.org
Fri Jan 10 09:33:07 PST 2020

I follow the SHEG pretty closely, and use threads of the CRAAP test and the EasyBib chart too.

I've a little presentation that I adapted from a CASL conference or SHEG called Determining Authority. It's useful for teaching them to look at the features of a website for indicators of what it is. Kind of like teaching features of an encyclopedia- index, table of contents, etc. We look at an old gnarly book and a new one and talk about appearances (all looks pretty good online) and The Wizard of Oz story (was there really a wizard? what did Toto find behind the curtain?) and more. We talk about lateral reading a lot- who are those people, not just the ABOUT US/CONTACT US tab.

I'm moving toward teaching and requiring annotated bibs to encourage students to write about how a source fits in.

The problem I see with the CRAAP traditional matrix is that it looks like a rubric and it's just a score tabulation but not enough thinking about the questions about the source. And lots of times a spikey biased source needs to be part of the background look at what's out there.

I also generally require some background work in databases- I like the ABC-CLIO offerings for history and health, eLibrary and SIRS the best.

And, it's a little clunky at times, but notes need to be shared with me with links. I do look at links and what they are doing for notes if they are making their own, or I use a Cornell variant or a summarizer doc I made.

My sense is that the internet is still a place to dip and pick. I'd like a research class or to be embedded with freshman somehow.

Stephanie Patterson
Southington High School Library
"Building character with critical thinking, creativity,
 collaboration and communication."