[CASL-L] DLD youth library updates

Powe, Kymberlee Kymberlee.Powe at ct.gov
Tue Jan 21 08:21:49 PST 2020

Hey all,
I have a lot of updates and reminders so I thought one big email would be more efficient than multiple small ones.

Updated and additions to the Libguides.
First I would like to draw your attention to a few new pages/ changes to the Children and YA libguides. First there is a new page called Grant Opportunities. On this page I've also linked to CLA's PEG grant and the LSTA grant page. https://libguides.ctstatelibrary.org/dld/children/grants
Also take a look at the new Diversity page with a dropdown link to articles https://libguides.ctstatelibrary.org/dld/children/diversity, the summer reading page https://libguides.ctstatelibrary.org/dld/children/summerreading, and last, the STEM page https://libguides.ctstatelibrary.org/dld/children/STEM.

Book Discussion Sets
We also have some new book discussion set titles since August! Remember, you can request titles up to a year in advance. If it's checked out now, book it for later.

Before the Fall https://cslib.libcal.com/equipment/item/60348<https://cslib.libcal.com/equipment/item/60348%20>
Japanese Lover https://cslib.libcal.com/equipment/item/60300<https://cslib.libcal.com/equipment/item/60300%20>
Make Your Home Among Strangers https://cslib.libcal.com/equipment/item/60211
Short https://cslib.libcal.com/equipment/item/60363
The Crossover https://cslib.libcal.com/equipment/item/57318
The First Rule of Punk https://cslib.libcal.com/equipment/item/57397
Ghost Boys https://cslib.libcal.com/equipment/item/57333
Hey, Kiddo- https://cslib.libcal.com/equipment/item/57965
New kid- https://cslib.libcal.com/equipment/item/57295
The Parker Inheritance- https://cslib.libcal.com/equipment/item/57386
Sadie- https://cslib.libcal.com/equipment/item/57384
Sal and Gabi Break the Universe- https://cslib.libcal.com/equipment/item/59205
The Thing about Jellyfish- https://cslib.libcal.com/equipment/item/57966

Summer Library UnConference
If you didn't see the Save the Dates posted last week. DLD along with a group of children and YA librarians around the state, DLD has organized and Summer Library UnConference. This UnConference will provide a space and platform to discuss the many layers of library summer reading programs, everything from challenges to success, from goals to book lists, from traditional programs to unconventional ones. Registration and information will follow soon.

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D03115.F4805630]

[2020_CSLP_Banner_07.jpg]

Save the Date!!
Hello everyone.

The CSL Division of Library Development, in partnership with CT YA and Children's librarians across the state, is pleased to announce the inaugural
Summer Library UnConference.

This UnConference will be an opportunity for youth librarians and their staff to discuss summer goals, challenges, success stories and more.

Please save the date for:
Thursday, March 19
Homer Babbidge Library
UCONN Storrs Campus
369 Fairfield Way, Storrs, CT 06269
9:30- Coffee Hour
10:00-3:00- UnConference

More details will follow soon!

CT State Library is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.

(c) 2016 CT State Library. All rights reserved.

Summer Reading Loss Sure is Real
Speaking of Summer, some of you may remember when I shared an article called Is Summer Learning Loss Real. https://www.educationnext.org/is-summer-learning-loss-real-how-i-lost-faith-education-research-results/<https://gcc02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.educationnext.org%2Fis-summer-learning-loss-real-how-i-lost-faith-education-research-results%2F&data=02%7C01%7Crantill%40statelibrary.sc.gov%7C59b3c38fe3ed410dd96e08d799cedf70%7Ce9f8d01480d84f27b0d6c3d6c085fcdd%7C1%7C1%7C637146986100341083&sdata=Jo%2BrJtQVw4bJ7jjdD3%2Bjf1zS4KzCGam28X906zMF6E4%3D&reserved=0>.
Apparently there is a response to that article here https://www.educationnext.org/summer-learning-loss-sure-is-real-response/<https://gcc02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.educationnext.org%2Fsummer-learning-loss-sure-is-real-response%2F&data=02%7C01%7Crantill%40statelibrary.sc.gov%7C59b3c38fe3ed410dd96e08d799cedf70%7Ce9f8d01480d84f27b0d6c3d6c085fcdd%7C1%7C1%7C637146986100351078&sdata=pHaTVanGC%2BJ1AMs4HCavj%2FoijrYy6Hkhn5bTVPCGBDk%3D&reserved=0> if anyone is interested called Summer Learning Loss Sure is Real.
Transforming Teen Services
Last don't forget about the Transforming Teen Services. The Transforming Teen Services (T3) initiative has been organized by YALSA and the Chief Officers of State Library Agencies. In trainings, facilitated by Connecticut State T3 trainers, you'll learn about teen growth and development, connected learning, computational thinking and more. Take advantage of this opportunity to build and develop services for and with teens that will help guarantee that the adolescents you support have what they need for future success.
The training schedule and times will be as such:

Teen Development

Connected Learning

Computational Thinking

Connected Learning & Computational Thinking

Weston 9:30-12:30

February 26<https://cslib.libcal.com/event/6300400>

March 4<https://cslib.libcal.com/event/6300521>

April 8<https://cslib.libcal.com/event/6300665>

May 6<https://cslib.libcal.com/event/6300669>

Bristol 9:00-12:00

February 21<https://cslib.libcal.com/event/6300402>

March 10<https://cslib.libcal.com/event/6300527>

April 14<https://cslib.libcal.com/event/6300666>

May 12<https://cslib.libcal.com/event/6300672>

Killingly 10:00-1:00

February 24<https://cslib.libcal.com/event/6300406>

March 24<https://cslib.libcal.com/event/6300659>

April 24<https://cslib.libcal.com/event/6300667>

May 21<https://cslib.libcal.com/event/6300679>

Register for one of these trainings at https://cslib.libcal.com/<https://cslib.libcal.com/%20> or click on links above.

Our goal is for librarians to attend all four training topics because they connected but if there is a subject you are unable to make, please email me in advance and I'll make sure you receive the necessary material.

Thank all. Please feel free to email me with any questions, concerns, or comments.

Best,
Kym

[Macintosh HD:Users:jeff:Desktop:CT_State_Library_Email_Logo.jpg]

Kymberlee Powe | Children and YA Consultant | Kymberlee.Powe at ct.gov<mailto:Kymberlee.Powe at ct.gov> | Office: (860) 704-2207 | https://libguides.ctstatelibrary.org/dld/children| 786 S. Main St. Middletown, CT 06457| Fax: (860) 704-2228