[CASL-L] Cataloging and Race

Cheryl Robertson robertsonc at guilfordschools.org
Fri Jul 31 08:18:11 PDT 2020

Hi Elaine,
That's a great point.  Might we also add the term "Brown"?  I am eager to
read our colleagues' suggestions.
Respectfully,
Cheryl

On Thu, Jul 30, 2020 at 10:01 AM Elaine Shapiro <elaine.shapiro7 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I often add subjects to my catalog records in my elementary school library.
> For example,  "multicultural" "African American"  "civil rights".  But, as
> I learn more about race, I realize that African American is not an accurate
> term for books about or featuring black people, because not all black
> people in the US are from the US originally. Thoughts on better subject
> terms?  "Blacks" "Black People"?
>
> Thank you
> Elaine

*Cheryl A. Robertson*
*Teacher Librarian*
*Click here for homepage
<http://ams.guilfordschools.org/apps/pages/index.jsp?uREC_ID=232991&type=d>*

*"Reading should not be presented to children as a chore, a duty.  It
should be offered as a gift." ~Kate DiCamillo*

*CURRENTLY READING*
*The Girls in the Garden *by Lisa Jewell
*The Night Circus *by Erin Morgenstern
*Caster *by Elsie Chapman
*How To Be an Anti-Racist *by Ibram X. Kendi

*CURRENTLY LISTENING*
*Frankly in Love* by David Yoon

*RECENTLY FINISHED*
*28 Summers *by Elin Hilderbrand
*The Best of Us* by Robyn Carr
*Will & Whit *by Laura Lee Gulledge
*After the Shot Drops *by Randy Ribay
*The Little Big Things* by Henry Fraser
*A Heart in a Body in a World* by Deb Caletti
*The House We Grew up In *by Lisa Jewell
*Symptoms of Being Human *by Jeff Garvin
*The Family Upstairs *by Lisa Jewell
*Started too Early, Took My Dog *by Kate Atkinson

CONFIDENTIAL: This email and any files transmitted with it may contain

information that is confidential and is intended solely for the use of the

individual or entity to whom they are addressed. Be advised that
forwarding,
saving, printing, copying, or taking any action on the contents
of this message
may be prohibited. If you have received this email in
error, please notify the
original sender and delete the message and any
attachments from your computer.
Messages to or from the Guilford Public
Schools may be subject to the Freedom
of Information Act (Conn. Gen. Stat.