[CASL-L] Benefits of a LMS in a 1:1 school

STEPHANIE PATTERSON spatterson at southingtonschools.org
Tue Mar 3 07:46:50 PST 2020

I think that administrators don't really know what a librarian does... other than check out books.

Southington had no librarians at the two middle schools for years. Just paras or clerks on a PT basis.

This year, an English teacher who recently completed the Advanced ARC for LMS transferred to the middle level and covers both schools.

Paras and clerks are good at material handling only. Generally, they don't have the interest or disposition to run a small business- and they certainly aren't paid to do that.

I'm always looking for ways to be seen as a teacher librarian; that is running the small business and moving forward with research instruction. We have gone down to 1 FTE for the library here- a colleague went to the ELL program at an elementary school. It's a lot to manage all this solo, but it's better to have 2 reliable PT that are good at independent tasks and running with them. We are taking attendance every period now, and lunch waves are difficult- 4 periods a day, subject to overflow, and teachers will not bring classes in during those times for the most part.

We have some substantial work to do following NEASC feedback- and I see this as an inroad for more common research experiences, stronger curricular alignment.

I'd look at your curriculum, and see what the expectations are for students by the time they get to HS. If we don't scaffold research skills starting at the middle, and just give them links to look at, the students really are short-changed. They are very savvy with social media, but they are not very strong digital citizens. I'm using ResearchIt more, and trying to coach more database use- that platform and the sources I subscribe to. Get the PTO involved if they are active.

Gather as much data as you can, and share it out- beyond principal. I've been compiling year end reports that "tell the story" and provide statistics and numbers for 11 years. I share it with the superintendent, the assistant superintendent, all the building admins, the technology director, and anyone who who has any funding or program connection to the library. I have no "library supervisor" and we don't have a FT LMS in the elementaries- they split up schools during the week.

Lots of food for thought... seems we need a voice in Hartford.

Stephanie Patterson
Southington High School Library
"Building character with critical thinking, creativity,
 collaboration and communication."