[CASL-L] Data Privacy and COVID-19

Casey, Doug Doug.Casey at ct.gov
Mon Mar 23 11:42:01 PDT 2020

Good afternoon,

Attached is the letter that Commissioner Cardona just sent to your superintendents regarding data privacy. In sum, for new technology you are looking to onboard, you do not need to pursue separate contracts. Instead, if the vendor has signed the Student Data Privacy Pledge<https://portal.ct.gov/-/media/DAS/CTEdTech/documents/PA_16-189_CT_Student_Data_Privacy_Pledge.pdf> on the Hub, that suffices for compliance.

As always, and especially with this change, please encourage vendors to sign the Pledge, a single effort on their part that opens the door 200 local education agencies in the state to use their product(s). We are trying to make this easy for them - and take the burden off you - by providing background and even model language<https://portal.ct.gov/-/media/DAS/CTEdTech/documents/CT_Model_TOS_Addendum.pdf> from our Web site (vendor section here<https://portal.ct.gov/DAS/CTEdTech/Commission-for-Educational-Technology/Initiatives/Student-Data-Privacy#contractors>). Still, at the end of the day, it remains the decision of companies whether they will comply or not.

Regards,

Doug