[CASL-L] Elem: Author visit (remote)

Jane Martellino janemartellino at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 06:22:18 PDT 2020

Jane Martellino <jane_martellino at greenwich.k12.ct.us>
7:04 AM (2 hours ago)
to Audrey
As a K-5 school librarian, it can be challenging to select an author for a
school visit who can engage all grade levels.  Add a pandemic on top of it,
and engaging students in one more remote session compounds the challenge.

A fantastic solution for all K-5 schools is Audrey Vernick
<http://www.audreyvernick.com/>.  Creating a buzz about the author's books
is essential in preparing for a visit. Audrey's mix of picture books and
middle-grade novels will hook all readers.

International School at Dundee students were fortunate to have Audrey for a
very specific grade 4 presentation on the genre of realistic fiction
writing.  In my 25 year career, I have observed well over 200 authors
present either in schools or at conferences,  Audrey easily ranks in my top
ten.  Her contagious positive attitude, enthusiasm for sharing her craft,
and her honest reflections on the writing process kept students and
teachers highly engaged.  The Q & A session was by far the most
robust discussion I have ever witnessed when students drive the questions.
This level of student engagement is a result of the manner in which Audrey
connects with the students during her presentation and through her
writing.  Keep in mind: this session was provided remotely!  When we return
to offering in-person presentations, we most definitely will offer Audrey a
contract to return to our school.

Lastly, I cannot underestimate the importance of bringing authors into your
schools that inspire, motivate, and encourage students to develop as
readers and writers,  But equally important is the human connection that
one makes when truly engaged with another person. Audrey has a grace and
kindness that made each student and staff feel like they were chatting with
a long-time friend. Such an instant and meaningful connection is a rarity
in this socially distanced world we currently find ourselves living in.
Jane

--
Jane E. Martellino
Twitter: @janemartellino