[CASL-L] revisiting digitizing video in pandemic

Rocca, Jennifer Roccaj at brookfieldps.org
Fri Oct 23 05:15:19 PDT 2020

Hello all,

We talked about this in the spring, but now we're here again. Brookfield
has shut down for the next two weeks. We have not found a solution that
allows teachers to show videos to their students remotely. We own the DVDs
and teachers always showed it in class. Students who were absent that day
came to the library and viewed the DVD during a study hall or after school.

In the spring we just limped by with what could and video was not really an
option.

But now we're in a new year where this is coming up again and again. And I
still don't have an answer. Has anyone come up with a legal way to show
video to students?

I was hoping that the teachers could play the DVD on their own device then
screen share it to students via Zoom but the lag is so bad that this not
do-able.

I was hoping that the videos we needed would be available on streaming
services that students might have access to at home, but that's not the
case.

No matter how much I read about Fair Use and Fair Dealing, I can't find a
way to justify digitizing a DVD, keeping it password protected, and
allowing students to view it from home. We just can't do that... right? (I
really want to be wrong)

Has anyone found a solution?

--

Jennifer Rocca
BHS Teacher Librarian

"We are a learning community committed to fostering intellect, respect, and
integrity."