[CASL-L] RBG

Jane Martellino janemartellino at gmail.com
Sun Sep 20 04:45:36 PDT 2020

All,
Something I created and shared with staff yesterday morning after I shared
the print and digital books they will have at their disposal on Monday.
Feel free to make copies and use/revise, or suggest to your staff.
Attached are a couple of additional resources I created. I put quotes on
slides and then made a Jamboard of two kinds of quotes  There are so many
ways you can use quotes to get students thinking more deeply.

1. The Jamboard
<https://jamboard.google.com/d/1Tb8YRKzft0ZkpN5OodtfVIK0iTimNIZUH3x7V5Pm8-I/copy>
has
one slide with RBG's words and the second slide is what others said about
her.  When students study a fictional character, we look at what the
character says and does and what others say about them. The same process is
true for looking at real people.

a. You could share the Jamboard with small groups by making copies of it
and share a copy with just that group through GCLassroom and then they can
use the post-it note feature to share thoughts and collaborate.
b. You could share with the whole class and have a discussion, and use
post-it notes but I would probably revise the Jamboard by making more
slides and separating quotes you choose to use onto separate slides.
c.  If you keep it as a collection of quotes, this question could work well:
Question to ponder:
What can you conclude about her character and her legacy based upon the
accumulation of these quotes?

2. Other ways to use the quotes:  Begin with reviewing the slideshow
<https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1w3aNBHkcTztaIZbsysXBkCOEpAd-W3bkaNPMVCzTN2c/copy>of
quotes (give each student a digital copy).  Whichever quote caused the
student to linger over, have them choose that quote to be their guiding
focus for when they read or listen to one of the books I shared with you
(our print books and the titles in Epic).

To go deeper on basic biographical content, use reference materials, such
as World Book or Scholastic Go listed on the Greenwich Research Tools page.
<https://www.greenwichschools.org/teaching-learning/academics/digital-literacy-lms/research-tools>

For building a basic biographical background on RBG, Pebble Go is a good
starting place regardless of age.

3. An idea for ending a reflection with students is by creating a Word
Cloud (https://answergarden.ch)  or creating a class quote about RBG that
could guide your class this school year in building integrity, character,
open-mindedness, being principled.

Those are just a couple of ideas but I am sure you can think of even more.
Jane

--
Jane E. Martellino
Twitter: @janemartellino