[CASL-L] Book challenges

emma.b.smith1 at gmail.com emma.b.smith1 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 05:31:12 PST 2021

Good morning,

At a recent Board of Ed meeting in our town, several books (Ghost Boys, When Reason Breaks, Lawn Boy)  were discussed as being inappropriate. At this point, admin are reading the books, but we have concerns about whether our BOE policy will be followed. Additionally, we have classroom teachers looking for guidance as to what to do if and when admin come to remove titles from their classroom libraries.

Our questions:

What steps should classroom teachers take? What is our role (4 librarians in the district) in supporting teachers in this dangerous situation?
One more thing, please, has anyone encountered the expectation that all teachers should have read every book in their classroom libraries?

Whoops, one more, are there any other districts that are experiencing these challenges? With what books?

Thank you!

Emma, Alex, Kristin & Joy