[CASL-L] Book challenges

Barbara Johnson bajohnson at colchesterct.org
Fri Dec 10 05:45:59 PST 2021

PLEASE review  information on the ALA website
https://www.ala.org/tools/challengesupport

Contact Office of Intellectual Freedom Kristin Pekoll kpekoll at ala.org (ccd
on this email too!)

You need to report this incident RIGHT AWAY through this form:
http://www.ala.org/tools/challengesupport/report

PLEASE keep CASL in the loop by including Melissa, Jenny, Val and I ccd on
any communication:
president at ctcasl.org
vicepresident at ctcasl.org
vpintern at ctcasl.org
bjohnson at ctcasl.org

Email me off list for specific advice and next steps.

Barb

On Fri, Dec 10, 2021 at 8:32 AM <emma.b.smith1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Good morning,
>
> At a recent Board of Ed meeting in our town, several books (Ghost Boys,
> When Reason Breaks, Lawn Boy)  were discussed as being inappropriate. At
> this point, admin are reading the books, but we have concerns about whether
> our BOE policy will be followed. Additionally, we have classroom teachers
> looking for guidance as to what to do if and when admin come to remove
> titles from their classroom libraries.
>
> Our questions:
>
> What steps should classroom teachers take? What is our role (4 librarians
> in the district) in supporting teachers in this dangerous situation?
> One more thing, please, has anyone encountered the expectation that all
> teachers should have read every book in their classroom libraries?
>
> Whoops, one more, are there any other districts that are experiencing
> these challenges? With what books?
>
> Thank you!
>
> Emma, Alex, Kristin & Joy

*Barbara Johnson*
*Librarian*
Jack Jackter Intermediate School

@technojohnson
www.jackjackterlibrary.com

--
Please be aware that email communication can be intercepted in transmission
or misdirected. Please communicate sensitive information by telephone or in