[CASL-L] CT State Library DLD Weekly Wrap-up 12.17.2021

Kymberlee Powe Kymberlee.Powe at ct.gov
Fri Dec 17 12:33:44 PST 2021

[Logo: CT State Library Division of Library Development]

Weekly Wrap-up | December 17, 2021

“Carry out a random act of kindness, with no expectation of reward, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you.”
– Princess Diana

People

Initiatives and Announcements

Announcing…

[2022 Virtual Author Launch  with Kat Leyh, Maika Moulite, Maritza Moulite, and Yaa Gyasi Thursday, January 13 | 6-7:30 pm Bookcovers: Snapdragon with headshot of Kat Leyh, One of the Good Ones with headshot of Maika and Maritza Moulite, Transcendent Kingdom with headshot Yaa Gyasi]

2022 Virtual Author Launch with Kat Leyh, Maika Moulite, Maritza Moulite, and Yaa Gyasi
Thursday, January 13 | 6-7:30 pm
Register<https://cslib.libcal.com/event/8640349>

Join us for an extra-special virtual launch with the authors of all three 2022 All CT Reads primary selections – Kat Leyh, author of Snapdragon, our children’s pick; Maika Moulite and Maritza Moulite, authors of One of the Good Ones, our teen pick; and Yaa Gyasi, author of Transcendent Kingdom, our adult pick. Each author will discuss their work and answer questions from our community. You will also learn about the All CT Reads program and get an overview of the resources available from the CT State Library to support All CT Reads events at your library all year long.

The All CT Reads website is growing! Each of the 12 books has its own page full of book and author wraparound resources, discussion guides, author interviews, and more. You will also find publicity materials, book discussion resources, email sign-up<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScsLhUw1MncwbOCVL5UY_67bLXGxXFSFfUat8HHN-3utsP8bw/viewform?usp=sf_link>, and more!

Explore All CT Reads.<https://sites.google.com/view/allctreads/home>

All CT Reads is an initiative of the Connecticut State Library Division of Library Development and partners with the Connecticut Center for the Book at Connecticut Humanities, the Connecticut Association for School Librarians (CASL), and the Connecticut Library Consortium (CLC).

All CT Reads is supported by a generous grant from EBSCO Information Services to the Connecticut Heritage Foundation.

[Graphic: Under Construction.]Coming in Winter/Spring 2022:
Library Construction Webinars and Tours

Join us for one or all of these library construction case studies featuring recently completed projects:

E.C. Scranton Library (webinar)
Monday, January 10 | 1:30-3 pm
Register<https://cslib.libcal.com/event/8526233>
Focus: working from a temporary space while managing a major renovation and expansion.

Stonington Free Library (webinar)
Wednesday, February 16 | 10-11:30 am
Register<https://cslib.libcal.com/event/8549153>
Focus: big changes in a small footprint.

Park Street Library @ the Lyric, Hartford (webinar)
Thursday, April 28 | 9:30-11:30 am
Focus: designing and building a library from scratch.

James Blackstone Memorial Library
(in-person panel & tour in Branford)
Tuesday, June 14 | 10 am-12:00 pm
Focus: renovating an iconic structure.

Perfect for: anyone considering a library renovation or construction project, including Library Directors/ Administrators, Library Staff, Library Board Members, and Building Committee Members.

[Logo: CT Pages. Take a page from another library's book. In front of a picture containing, book, library, room]<https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLRvTJbvPzFNfpaE75sfHdng8_MJovUsYK>

Connecticut Pages

CT Pages<https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLRvTJbvPzFNfpaE75sfHdng8_MJovUsYK> is a channel for sharing community engagement success stories by libraries with and for their communities. We partner with CT libraries to create and release short video conversations with the library staff who make things happen.

In our latest edition, meet Sarah Kline Morgan, Library Director at the East Hartford Public Library, who shares with us her library's experience building a collaborative summer enrichment program with their town's Parks & Rec and Youth Services departments. Together, the three East Hartford municipal agencies took advantage of ARPA funding from their town and the CT State Department of Education to offer enrichment for 350 campers per week for seven weeks at two town locations, the library and the Community Cultural Center. Since ARPA funds can be used for future summers (East Hartford Public Library already allocated funding for next year), we think this could be a good model for other libraries!

Watch CT Pages | East Hartford Public Library!<https://youtu.be/B1oCGO_LZyk>

There are so many creative and innovative happenings in our libraries all around Connecticut that beginning in January, we are going to release two CT Pages videos each month.

And we need more to share! We are always seeking submissions for consideration. Do you have a creative program, service, activity, partnership or project that you want to share with your library neighbors?

Submit your idea!<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeSbJECStSdhgzR1kcaJdToeaGl_ut_QnQI64NGMXuwjJ4NZQ/viewform>

Place

Workshops

December days can be both crazy and quiet, yet sometimes, they can be perfect for squeezing in some self-paced learning – we have options for you!

[Logo: Niche Academy]<https://my.nicheacademy.com/ctstatelibrary>CT State Library
Niche Academy

Explore all the offerings in the Connecticut State Library Niche Academy<https://my.nicheacademy.com/ctstatelibrary>. Choose from hundreds of tutorials in this growing collection. Here is a selection to get you started:

  *   Assisting Patrons with Legal Questions<https://my.nicheacademy.com/ctstatelibrary/course/33470>
  *   Community Homelessness and What Libraries Can Do<https://my.nicheacademy.com/ctstatelibrary/course/31822>
  *   A Trauma-Informed Approach for Libraries<https://my.nicheacademy.com/ctstatelibrary/course/18112>
  *   Library Search Strategies<https://my.nicheacademy.com/ctstatelibrary/course/34551>
  *   Marketing eResources<https://my.nicheacademy.com/ctstatelibrary/course/24436>
  *   Social Work in Rural and Small Libraries<https://my.nicheacademy.com/ctstatelibrary/course/25784>

DLD is also pleased to provide access to Andrew Sanderbeck’s Front Line Customer Service<https://my.nicheacademy.com/ctstatelibrary/course/34143> 6-week course through the Niche Academy through September 2022.

[Logo: WebJunction]<https://www.webjunction.org/home.html>WebJunction

WebJunction<https://www.webjunction.org/home.html>, a program of OCLC Research offers a wide variety of free library webinars<https://www.webjunction.org/find-training/free-events.html> and archives of webinars<https://www.webjunction.org/events/archives.html> you may have missed. The trainings are geared to all library types. Some upcoming topic areas include collection development, communication, fundraising, reference, instruction, volunteers, and lots for school libraries this month. Enjoy!

Platform

CT Digital Library

[Logo: Health Source Consumer Edition. Powered by Ebsco.]Health Source Consumer Edition

As we continue to navigate the new challenges of the pandemic, access to quality health information is more important than ever. Health Source Consumer Edition from EBSCO can be accessed in researchIT<https://researchitct.org/> to help you with your health information needs. This rich collection of consumer health information provides access to full-text consumer health magazines and reference books. It also includes searchable full text for current health pamphlets. Content Includes:

  *   More than 20 active full-text non-open access magazines
  *   13 full-text reference books
  *   More than 18,800 Clinical Reference Systems reports
  *   Full text for current health pamphlets

This full-text database covers a wide variety of subjects, including information on specific diseases as well as overall health topics. Subjects include fitness, nutrition, diabetes, aging, women's health, children's health and more.

Additionally, with Health Source Consumer Edition, users have access to Clinical Reference Systems reports, in both English and Spanish, and Merriam-Webster's Medical Desk Dictionary.

EBSCO has also created a Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Healthcare Resource Center<https://more.ebsco.com/EBSCO-COVID-19-ResourceCenter.html>.

For more information visit researchIT<https://researchitct.org/> contact Brad Bullis at bradley.bullis at ct.gov<mailto:bradley.bullis at ct.gov>.

________________________________

[Logo: CT State Library. Preserving the Past. Informing the Future.]
Division of Library Development | Middletown Library Service Center
786 South Main Street | Middletown, CT 06457
libguides.ctstatelibrary.org/dld<http://libguides.ctstatelibrary.org/dld/home> | (203) 704-2200

CT State Library is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.

© 2016 CT State Library. All rights reserved.
[Logo: CT State Library. Preserving the Past. Informing the Future.]

Ashley Sklar (she/ her) | Adult Services and Community Engagement Consultant, Division of Library Development
ashley.sklar at ct.gov<mailto:ashley.sklar at ct.gov> | Office: (860) 704-2222
libguides.ctstatelibrary.org/dld<https://libguides.ctstatelibrary.org/dld/home> | 786 South Main St. Middletown, CT 06457 | Fax: (860) 704-2228