[CASL-L] Don't You Want to Join a BOOK CLUB?? :)

Melissa Thom melissa_thom at whps.org
Tue Jan 5 18:36:53 PST 2021

Hello!

The CASL board would like to share a cool opportunity with you on behalf of
the Nerdy Book Club. (If you don't know what this year, please open another
tab IMMEDIATELY and visit this link <https://nerdybookclub.wordpress.com>!)

Donalyn Miller, one of the creators of the Nerdy Book Club, wrote a blog
post
<https://nerdybookclub.wordpress.com/2020/12/20/do-you-want-to-join-a-book-club-by-donalyn-miller/>in
December inviting everyone to join a virtual year long book club, and we
hope you will join us in participating!! :)  It sounds like you just follow
along via the Nerdy Book Club Facebook page
<https://www.facebook.com/nerdybookclub>, (post about book club
<https://www.facebook.com/nerdybookclub/photos/4908234762551392>) as well
as their Twitter page <https://twitter.com/nerdybookclub> and using
#nerdybookclub.

An excerpt from the blog post:

Here at The Nerdy Book Club, we see our December anniversary as an
opportunity to reflect on our goals and consider how we can continue to
support teachers, librarians, families, and kids. Interacting with many of
you, we see frustration because of the lack of joyful reading experiences
for your students and limited professional development opportunities to
learn with colleagues. Folks are missing discussions about books, too.
Recognizing the social and intellectual benefits and community book clubs
can provide, The Nerdy Book Club will launch a book club in 2021. It’s
Nerdy Book Club, the book club!

In conversations with folks in our communities, we are still working out
the details, but it’s time to share the news and solicit your ideas! Each
month, we will select a different title—rotating between professional
development, middle grade, and young adult titles. Book club titles will
celebrate joy, personal and professional growth, and community. Throughout
each book’s featured month as a book club selection, The Nerdy Book Club
with host Facebook Live conversations with authors, slow (asynchronous)
book discussions via Facebook and Twitter, and some spontaneous moments to
celebrate and share the book.

So, do you want to join a book club?

If you would like to get a head start, our January 2021 selection is *Risk.
Fail. Rise: A Teacher’s Guide to Learning from Mistakes by M. Colleen Cruz*.
We are excited about working with Colleen to offer an engaging book club
experience. We will announce dates for Facebook Live events and future
titles through this blog, Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/nerdybookclub>,
and Twitter <https://twitter.com/nerdybookclub>.

If you have been looking for ways to discover and celebrate books, connect
with other readers, or feed your brain, this book club may be the low
stress opportunity you need! Perhaps, you can find a few colleagues and
friends to join with you or start an online book club of your own.

I look forward to the community learning and sharing this book club will
provide. Please share your suggestions in the comments and look for updates
and timelines via our social media channels! You can also follow the
#nerdybookclub hashtag to connect with other readers and book club
participants.

[image: IMG_5314.PNG]

*Happy Reading!*

Melissa Thom
@MsThomBookitis
Bristow Middle School Teacher Librarian
West Hartford Public Schools
Bristow Library Learning Commons Webpage: h
<http://blog.whps.org/bristowlibrarylearningcommons>ttp://
bit.ly/BristowLibrary
*Follow us on Twitter: @bristowllc*
*Follow me on Goodreads
<https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/10867206-melissa-thom> *
*Join the Libro.fm ACL <http://libro.fm/referral?rf_code=lfm82519> and
receive free audiobooks each month! Use my referral code: **lfm82519*

*Currently Reading:     *
*Poisoned *by Jennifer Donnelly
*Some Places More Than Others* by Renee Watson
*Currently Listening:*
*The Invisible Life of Addie Larue* by V.E. Schwab
*Recently Finished:      *
*House Arrest* by K.A. Holt
*Abby Tried and True *by Donna Gephart
*Wolfpack* by Abby Wambach
*Hide and Seeker* by Daka Hermon
*The Land of the Cranes* by Aida Salazar
*The Sea in Winter* by Christine Day
*A Place at the Table* by Saadia Faruqi and Lauren Shovan
*American as Paneer Pie* by Supriya Kelkar
*The Winterhouse Mysteries Series* by Ben Guterson
*Piecing Me Together *by Renee Watson
*Hope To Read Soon:*
*City of Spies by James Ponti *
*SOOOO Many More....*

Check out my blog all about books and reading!
http://www.msthomsbookitis.weebly.com

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE:
This West Hartford Public Schools e-mail may contain