[CASL-L] Fwd: [please RSVP and/or share widely right away] Asian American & Pacific Islander Studies Teacher Community of Practice

Barbara Johnson bajohnson at colchesterct.org
Thu Jul 28 17:43:39 PDT 2022

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Jenny Heikkila Diaz <jenny at fundforteachers.org>
Date: Thu, Jul 28, 2022, 8:33 PM
Subject: [please RSVP and/or share widely right away] Asian American &
Pacific Islander Studies Teacher Community of Practice
To: Jenny Heikkila Diaz <jenny at fundforteachers.org>

Dear educators and education supporters,

I hope you are getting lots of rest this summer.

As many of you know, CT has passed a bill to integrate Asian American &
Pacific Islander Studies into K-12 education.

Last year, I had the privilege of working as an UConn Asian and Asian
American Studies Institute Activist in Residence.  My main project was
facilitating a teacher community of practice for 10 high school teachers
across CT, creating units of study centered on Thi Bui’s graphic memoir, *The
Best We Could Do*.  What a life-changing experience for all the students,
teachers, professors, and me!  Check out a recent WNPR story about our work
(including hearing from students about their experiences):
https://www.ctpublic.org/show/where-we-live/2022-05-19/meet-the-teaching-cohort-modeling-culturally-responsive-aapi-education-in-connecticut
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.ctpublic.org_show_where-2Dwe-2Dlive_2022-2D05-2D19_meet-2Dthe-2Dteaching-2Dcohort-2Dmodeling-2Dculturally-2Dresponsive-2Daapi-2Deducation-2Din-2Dconnecticut&d=DwMFaQ&c=euGZstcaTDllvimEN8b7jXrwqOf-v5A_CdpgnVfiiMM&r=Q8-_zoTC47Xa4DLWIRFeqOaLopDLd757Jr2oxcEXZ8c&m=iacYft1wXSMoa0f87p6OyGjsBeC5euwX-EWHnc5r8Qk&s=QpMsKwoZxcXvZVLJ6GdgLCE92f0nfEdC_Mr1BOk7qr0&e=>

I am thrilled to share that this coming school year, I am back at it as a
UConn AAASI Activist in Residence, and I am facilitating three teacher
communities of practice, one for K-2 teachers, one for grades 3-5 teachers,
and one for grades 6-8 teachers.  Here are the details:

who: work together in a small teacher community of by grade band (K-2, 3-5,
or 6-8)

what: work together as a community of practice (K-2, 3-5, or 6-8) to
include Asian American & Pacific Islander texts in a unit of your choice

what else: work together to integrate oral  storytelling into that same
unit of your choice

when and where: an intro Zoom meeting in August + monthly meetings via Zoom
over the course of six months (1-1.5 hours each session)

why: to co-create K-8 units of study over time in preparation for this
integration of AAPI studies

AND the most important and fundamental why—to ensure our students get the
inclusive education that they deserve and need.

For your contributions, there is a $300 stipend, opportunity to build your
network of teacher collaborators, as well as rich professional learning
experiences with lifelong educators throughout our CT community.  You will
also get to learn unwritten histories in your local community and
state-wide!

If you are interested in participating, please complete this Google form by
EOD August 6:
https://forms.gle/L4hq5RKPhAMssmSw7
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__forms.gle_L4hq5RKPhAMssmSw7&d=DwMFaQ&c=euGZstcaTDllvimEN8b7jXrwqOf-v5A_CdpgnVfiiMM&r=Q8-_zoTC47Xa4DLWIRFeqOaLopDLd757Jr2oxcEXZ8c&m=iacYft1wXSMoa0f87p6OyGjsBeC5euwX-EWHnc5r8Qk&s=ccTB-9YoaVZQ_pqS4JTtQ6yyFk7AftF2B3f42rtMhlA&e=>

*Please share widely with CT K-8 teachers who would want in!*

Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions—I am here for all of
them.

JHD

This email has been scanned for spam and viruses by Proofpoint Essentials.
Click here
<https://us3.proofpointessentials.com/index01.php?mod_id=11&mod_option=logitem&mail_id=1658500656-4ZO-C9aMh2mq&r_address=jenny%40fundforteachers.org&report=1>
to report this email as spam.

--
Please be aware that email communication can be intercepted in transmission
or misdirected. Please communicate sensitive information by telephone or in